• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving into DevOps - have you done it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There does seem to be a bit of a shortage of DevOps people. Went for a permie interview a few months ago. Perm salary was excellent so I though why not - it was local.

Passed the initial interview - I know nothing about devops but they wanted someone to train up. Cracking I thought.

2nd interview was just a technical test and nothing else - biggest waste of half a day I've ever had. Test was purely devops stuff and building stuff. I had a vague idea but that was it so had no chance. Thing is they knew I had no devops experience so I didnt see the point.

Company struck me as a bit trendy and google-like. Seemed a fun place to work but maybe a bit too much. Certainly their recruitment ideas were a bit crap. I did point this out to the recruitment guy that having me do a devops test when I had never ever said I had any experience thereof was pretty pointless and a waster of everyones time.

I do wonder if devops is just a little bit "Emperors New Clothes" sometimes....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      There does seem to be a bit of a shortage of DevOps people. Went for a permie interview a few months ago. Perm salary was excellent so I though why not - it was local.

Passed the initial interview - I know nothing about devops but they wanted someone to train up. Cracking I thought.

2nd interview was just a technical test and nothing else - biggest waste of half a day I've ever had. Test was purely devops stuff and building stuff. I had a vague idea but that was it so had no chance. Thing is they knew I had no devops experience so I didnt see the point.

Company struck me as a bit trendy and google-like. Seemed a fun place to work but maybe a bit too much. Certainly their recruitment ideas were a bit crap. I did point this out to the recruitment guy that having me do a devops test when I had never ever said I had any experience thereof was pretty pointless and a waster of everyones time.

You didn't get the job so they seem to work ok.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Devops is like teenage sex.

Everybody's talking about it.
        Everyone thinks everyone else is doing it.
        Hardly anyone is doing it.
        And those that are, are doing it badly.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Devops is like teenage sex.

Everybody's talking about it.
          Everyone thinks everyone else is doing it.
          Hardly anyone is doing it.
          And those that are, are doing it badly.
          Erm... what?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Anything implemented badly is a little bit "Emperors New Clothes", Agile, DevOps, <insert new thing here>

Those that do it right are well paid, and add value, those that try to jump on the bandwagon and do a half arsed implementation it is Emperors New Clothes, I have seen more of the latter than the former
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Anything implemented badly is a little bit "Emperors New Clothes", Agile, DevOps, <insert new thing here>

Those that do it right are well paid, and add value, those that try to jump on the bandwagon and do a half arsed implementation it is Emperors New Clothes, I have seen more of the latter than the former
              I remember starting one client and being impressed with a load of posters and the like on the walls communicating new ways of working including much spouting about DevOps. Looked in to it further and the devs were in one building managed by 'X' and operations was spread out across multiple sites managed by 'Y'. Client puffed out his chest and said see.. DevOps...

Comment

Scripting with a dorky name like Chef, Puppet etc.

One place I was at Puppet was doing one thing and overnight Ansible was reversing it out.

Comment

Will probably proceed like Agile in that when it started out it was with organisations who thought it through and decided it was the way forward for them. Then an ever increasing amount of organisations decide they fancy a piece of it, more often or not to find a solution for a problem that wasn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Will probably proceed like Agile in that when it started out it was with organisations who thought it through and decided it was the way forward for them. Then an ever increasing amount of organisations decide they fancy a piece of it, more often or not to find a solution for a problem that wasn't there.
                    And plenty just "adopt" Agile because all the cool companies are doing it, meaning you find their interpretation is really being agile enough to duck as the brown stuff hits the fan.

Still, can't beat the "feign interest as standup meeting lasts over an hour whilst counting to myself how many money I'm made by doing nothing" approach.

Comment

Last client co (bank) were moving into DO, in a huge way. After 8 months after the roll out there was no change in my working practices (all outside of IR35 natch).

IN fact they'd only moved 40% of the workforce into DO. All a crock of tulip if you ask me. I do the work I am assigned to do, if you want me to explain this every morning then fine. (I usually silently drop off the conf call or make excuses and leave meeting after I've said my bit. Time is short.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X