• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the best way to find out my chargeable day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to find out my chargeable day rate?

Hey

I have been freelancing via an agency for nearly five years (PAYE). I get short term bookings and most of the time they are not even involved in the process. I heard a comment from someone else that their commissions are very high to the client. I am curious to know how much exactly because if it is very high or extortionate I am going to feel aggrieved - I am constantly being asked to do more work and it is my good reputation that keeps all these requests coming. Five years is a long time...

My question is - how do I find out exactly what a typical day's invoice for my services is? If I ask my agent I am sure they will put two and two together and start kicking up - like they have in the past when I asked for an increase in my day rate.

Originally posted by mhuk2016 View Post
    My question is - how do I find out exactly what a typical day's invoice for my services is?
    This is usually confidential information. You don't find out, at least formally. You could try chatting up someone in accounts and getting them to leak you the info.
    If I ask my agent I am sure they will put two and two together and start kicking up - like they have in the past when I asked for an increase in my day rate.
    If your reputation is as good as you say, they're not going to want to lose their cash cow. You have to negotiate. "I will leave unless you put my rate up by 10%" and be prepared to do so. But if you're happy with what you're getting, why should you care?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by mhuk2016 View Post
      Hey

I have been freelancing via an agency for nearly five years (PAYE). I get short term bookings and most of the time they are not even involved in the process. I heard a comment from someone else that their commissions are very high to the client. I am curious to know how much exactly because if it is very high or extortionate I am going to feel aggrieved - I am constantly being asked to do more work and it is my good reputation that keeps all these requests coming. Five years is a long time...

My question is - how do I find out exactly what a typical day's invoice for my services is? If I ask my agent I am sure they will put two and two together and start kicking up - like they have in the past when I asked for an increase in my day rate.
      Don't be a dick, you were happy with the rate when you accepted it and haven't walked so man up.

Other than that, hack the purchase ledger/shag the purchase ledger woman (or man)......

Comment

Project managers tracking costs sometimes know, and/or can tell you the margin rate. Get friendly with one of them
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

When I was at the Coop in Manchester desk were so few and far between you can end up blagging a desk for a day in the oddest of places. My second home was the purchase ledger office, got to hear allsorts, "Got an invoice for NLUK, £140 per day, bit high isn't?"

Stuff like that.

Ended up in the 'Ballroom' once, was the old Ballroom in the CIS Tower, and was quite literally an old Ballroom, and in the old Ballroom the old Mirrorball was literally still there, along with the old stage, and Galaxy Roller Shutters on the literal old bar. I know my roller (and folding) shutter doors having worked at Bolton Gate Company after leaving school, once spotted a Superior Folding Shutter on the freight lift at Coop offices in Skem, and on a Railtrack pissup incorporating a visit to the Coronation Street set then at Castlefield, I correctly confirmed my theory that the folding shutter door on Kevin Websters Garage (poss. MB Motors at the time as it was owned by Mike Baldwin during that Corrie epoch) was in fact a Bolton Gate Eurofold Lattice Door, a sort of low-spec Superior, Lattice Door, aluminium, single bottom tracks. I scraped 'BWFC' on it, it's still there on its move to Salford Quays, same door.

Comment

Ring the agency up pretend to be someone hiring for the same skillset as your role.

Ask them what they perceive the cost per day would be.

Could also be interesting as they may ring you and sound you out about a "potential new role".

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              When I was at the Coop in Manchester desk were so few and far between you can end up blagging a desk for a day in the oddest of places. My second home was the purchase ledger office, got to hear allsorts, "Got an invoice for NLUK, £140 per day, bit high isn't?"

Stuff like that.

Ended up in the 'Ballroom' once, was the old Ballroom in the CIS Tower, and was quite literally an old Ballroom, and in the old Ballroom the old Mirrorball was literally still there, along with the old stage, and Galaxy Roller Shutters on the literal old bar. I know my roller (and folding) shutter doors having worked at Bolton Gate Company after leaving school, once spotted a Superior Folding Shutter on the freight lift at Coop offices in Skem, and on a Railtrack pissup incorporating a visit to the Coronation Street set then at Castlefield, I correctly confirmed my theory that the folding shutter door on Kevin Websters Garage (poss. MB Motors at the time as it was owned by Mike Baldwin during that Corrie epoch) was in fact a Bolton Gate Eurofold Lattice Door, a sort of low-spec Superior, Lattice Door, aluminium, single bottom tracks. I scraped 'BWFC' on it, it's still there on its move to Salford Quays, same door.
              Has the old ballroom in CIS Tower been out of use since the Reverend Flowers departed? And, was there a point to that tale?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                Has the old ballroom in CIS Tower been out of use since the Reverend Flowers departed? And, was there a point to that tale?
                This was 2012 ish, ballroom not used as a ballroom then, the Teradata team lived there......

No point to story, just to impress the ladies with my knowledge of folding and rolling shutter doors before I start on composite fire doors, Filuma Garage doors, and induction loop gate commissionaire units....

Comment

Don't be a dick, you were happy with the rate when you accepted it and haven't walked so man up.

Other than that, hack the purchase ledger/shag the purchase ledger woman (or man)......
                  Whilst I generally agree that if you accept a rate you're happy with, the rate charged to the client by the agency shouldn't be your concern, there is one specific scenario where knowing this rate can be important:

For example:
                  Client --£600--> Agent --£500--> You
                  Client --£550--> Agent --£500--> Other Contractor

Agent has 2 contractors (who are for all intents and purposes equal in skill & experience) in the same client co, with the client co paying slightly more for you than the other contractor, despite you both getting the same rate from the agency.

Client has to cut budget and decides to reduce contractor head count. Who will the client choose?

Comment

"Got an invoice for NLUK, £140 per day, bit high isn't?"
                    Oiii!!
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X