• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To renew or not to renew

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redman View Post
    U really dont know how funny that is........

The programme manager / director and I have had a disagreement about his refusal to do a formal risk review and he does not accept the raising of risks
    So make sure you document risks you determine, make sure you've a hard copy of those, maybe make sure others at your client have a copy of the risks you identify.

Covers your arse should things go nipples vertical and they want to go after you to recap some costs from a failing project.

Equally, evidence you've identified risks which a particular individual has ignored could well waken eyes at your client after it fails. Could be the final straw for them, cause them to act to remove that person. Could well be very grateful to you to that... could lead to potential future work revamping processes etc.

Comment

U really dont know how funny that is........

The programme manager / director and I have had a disagreement about his refusal to do a formal risk review and he does not accept the raising of risks
      Do it anyway. Email them round. Shout it from the rooftops......

Until they terminate you for not being a team player!

Can you can give us any more context?

How does he actually respond to not accepting risk? eg We will not hit release date because XYZ

Comment

Thank u all for your replies it has helped

I am going to take the extension. I have had conversations with the hirer and the agent telling them that I will leave if things do not improve and I am in the firing line as i will not be a scapegoat, offering them the opportunity to withdraw the offer. They haven't. They both appreciate my position and understand that I may leave. So all parties are going in this with their eyes open

The hirer is great and understands my concerns but he is also powerless in his role. I have heard that the programme manager's days may be numbered

I have booked a number of holiday periods that will enable me to mange the notice period if needed.

I am seeing this for what it is a period of discomfort, whilst I get some invoices in and find another role or funds for the summer off with my family

From the project perspective, I am going to do a project status review and circulate it to the relevant stakeholders to ensure my view is known and they hear my view

Thanks again

Comment

I have booked a number of holiday periods
          Whoa.... You are a contractor aren't you?

If so,

i) You don't have "holidays", you have periods of "unavailability".
          ii) You don't "book" these in advance. You take them when you please (of course, giving the client some amount of notice is common courtesy).
          Last edited by billybiro; 16 March 2017, 13:24.

Comment

I am going to take the extension. I have had conversations with the hirer and the agent telling them that I will leave if things do not improve and I am in the firing line as i will not be a scapegoat, offering them the opportunity to withdraw the offer. They haven't. They both appreciate my position and understand that I may leave. So all parties are going in this with their eyes open

The hirer is great and understands my concerns but he is also powerless in his role. I have heard that the programme manager's days may be numbered

I have booked a number of holiday periods that will enable me to mange the notice period if needed.

I am seeing this for what it is a period of discomfort, whilst I get some invoices in and find another role or funds for the summer off with my family

From the project perspective, I am going to do a project status review and circulate it to the relevant stakeholders to ensure my view is known and they hear my view

Thanks again
            Good stuff. May as well suck it up - it may be that you feel a lot differently once the programme director has been binned off; the whole atmosphere at work could well change for the better. In the meantime, put your health and sanity first, look at other options but be fussy.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thanks again
              Well... here's the thing.

You've delivered added value to the client - I'd not be surprised if your issues have really opened eyes as to the problem permie, given motivation for end client to do something about him/her/they.

Of course look for other work, but also look at it this way. Individual gets dealt with, that relieves some of your problems. Deliver as you seem to be doing without being roadblocked by dopey permie, client then realises you've done marvellous work - and always have.

That way lies more future work...

Comment

Hi All,

Need to sound off - really.

Just finished a 6 month gig as a PM, i like the team, the rate is not great, about an hour and half drive, I have managed a piece of work in a much bigger programme.

I have now been given another item piece of work in that programme that is the worst managed programme that I have seen in 20 years as a PM / PGM. It is a cluster XXXX waiting to happen

I am not sleeping I am waking up at 4:30 I just dont want to do this project as it has no support from the management and I can see me becoming a fall guy as everyone else has just walked away from it and delivered documented nothing

BUT it is an extension and a bird in the hand etc.

I have a war chest built up to cover 12 months

Sorry to use u as a sounding board but should i stay or not renew.

The extension is in my inbox I requested a rate increase so that I could stay over they said no, I requested some remote working they said no. I requested 2 months notice instead of 1 month they said no

I have thought about manning up and just invoice but I really dont want to do it

I know I have answered my own question really and this is why I went in to contracting to pick and choose but to actually not renew is a first for me. Has anyone been in this position?
                Here is what I would do
                • Take the contract extension in this state of market place. Money is gold.
                • Would you ever go back to this client 2 or 3 years from now? If you believe there is a chance of repeat work and if you were given a 6 month extension, you might have to grin and bear for at least 3 months.
                • What is your notice period? 1 month? 2 weeks? Search for the next gig. Once you find it then resign or give notice in your contract. At the exit interview with the IT director give viable evidence about the PM issues, copies of email and demonstrate how you attempted to fix them.

Comment

I vote no, don't extend. Happiness is more important than money and you have a 12 month war chest.

If you do decline, say it is because you want to be closer to home or something, and leave on good terms.

Comment

Simple question - will your mental health suffer by the end of the contract?

If you are already waking at 4.30, it sounds as if things are beginning to fray.

FFS, life is too short to do things you hate. You're a contractor - one of the perks is to walk away from crap.

But it's your funeral at the end of the day.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      Simple question - will your mental health suffer by the end of the contract?

If you are already waking at 4.30, it sounds as if things are beginning to fray.

FFS, life is too short to do things you hate. You're a contractor - one of the perks is to walk away from crap.

But it's your funeral at the end of the day.
                      Very true.
                      I read the first message by OP then assumed he would take it then skipped forward and saw they had. How did I know that? The request for a 2 month notice period instead of 1 - WTF? Why would ANY contractor request that, even if they were really enjoying the contract? I've assumed they're afraid of being a scapegoat so want a longer notice period so they can't get rid. If we fail to do a job properly, regardless of whether we believe we're at fault or not, the conclusion should be to part ways- not try to cling on for a bit more £. I know I wouldn't want to stay in such a place and would be happy part ways sooner rather than later
                      As OP from what I remember has been a contractor at least 20 years I'm very surprised. Taking this extension gives me the impression they really need the money and desperate for the work
                      Last edited by SuperZ; 19 March 2017, 10:09.

Comment

Working...
                      X