• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To renew or not to renew

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    Very true.
    I read the first message by OP then assumed he would take it then skipped forward and saw they had. How did I know that? The request for a 2 month notice period instead of 1 - WTF? Why would ANY contractor request that, even if they were really enjoying the contract? I've assumed they're afraid of being a scapegoat so want a longer notice period so they can't get rid. If we fail to do a job properly, regardless of whether we believe we're at fault or not, the conclusion should be to part ways- not try to cling on for a bit more £. I know I wouldn't want to stay in such a place and would be happy part ways sooner rather than later
    As OP from what I remember has been a contractor at least 20 years I'm very surprised. Taking this extension gives me the impression they really need the money and desperate for the work

Sorry to correct you

The notice period was a typo, as I corrected later. I asked for 2 weeks
    I have never said I was a contractor for 20 years, I stated i have been PM / PGM for 20 years, I have been a contractor for 2.5 and this is why it feels strange not taking an extension when offered, hence asking for advice from experienced contractors

Thanks

Comment

There are better placed people than me to comment on how the PM market is at the moment but generally things aren't great so a bird in the hand and all that.

With work you can only take on the world's problems to a point before you have to distance yourself emotionally from it for your sanity. Do your best and let others decide if that is good enough.

Also, with three hours commuting a day you won't want to be doing too many extra hours.

Comment

Originally posted by redman View Post
        Sorry to correct you

The notice period was a typo, as I corrected later. I asked for 2 weeks
        I have never said I was a contractor for 20 years, I stated i have been PM / PGM for 20 years, I have been a contractor for 2.5 and this is why it feels strange not taking an extension when offered, hence asking for advice from experienced contractors

Thanks
        I've only rejected an extension once and that was to take a better opportunity. I felt like the role I was in at the time was going to slip inside IR335; I'd done a good job and they wanted to keep me on but had nothing for me for a couple of months.

Generally, slipping inside IR35 or losing the inability to claim expenses would be the main reasons I'd walk. In the case of the former, there are whole host of reasons that could happen from becoming part and parcel through to working practices changing and a new manager getting all SDC about the gig at hand.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
        X