• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do recruiters want your CV even when you've said you're not available?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some genuine cowboys around but people do go a but OTT with criticism of agents. Unless you work in a niche industry (of which I am never quite sure what qualifies as a niche sector but always feel i should caveat any assumption I state on here!) they are going to have access to contracts you might mot have heard of.

The whole invoice factoring service does tend to get underplayed on here.

That said it could do with a code of conduct starting with:

Not allowed to advertise fake jobs
    Not allowed to contact people about fake jobs (i.e. CV harvesting)
    They have to tell you honestly if they have sent your CV to the client
    Notice period needs to be aligned with their agreement with client

I am sure there are many other things to add.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Quite. You wade in to defend the honour of the agents and when someone presents a rhetorical, but pertinent and enlightening question, you ignore it. How incredibly weaselly of you.

Is your Plan B to be a politician? Or an agent, perhaps?
      I'm not wading in to defend anyone. I'm wading in to try balance some haters blinkered opinion. Just because I have a different view on it why do I want to be a politician or agent.

Agents exist all over the place. They on the whole provide a service that clients don't want to do. If you cut them out the client has to do the work. The agent might disappear but the workload doesn't. It goes back and sits with the client. As bad as agents are I'll bet we will have more problems trying to get the clients HR to buck up and get paperwork issued.

Am not a fan of them but I've made a lot of money through agents, as have may other people. Even more have bought/rented houses through them, got football players, found jobs and so on. The model sadly works. You can't deny that.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Lol, this is such a classic Internet forum post veering wildly off topic into angry rants 😂

As for agents.. I quite like setting off a few agents to do the legwork of finding my next contract, means when I'm out of contract I'm free do what I want with my time.

I guess ideally you'd have just one place you'd check, like a Hired.com or YunoJuno that actually worked for contractors (that's still an agent though). But most clients still prefer to use agents -
        I'm seeing more and more having inhouse recruiters (basically agents) now, it's all much of muchness as far as I'm concerned.

Like the infamous northernladuk pointed out about himself, I'm making good money through the current model, so I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          They on the whole provide a service that clients don't want to do. If you cut them out the client has to do the work.
          And how many times have you been interviewed by an agent, got the gig by having the client rely on the agent's assessment of you, then simply turned up at the client's office without the client ever having to have lifted a finger prior to your first day? Never. Because client's are still doing most of the work (i.e. performing due diligence of candidates by interviewing them) even with an agent in the chain.

The agent's model is to throw enough mud and see what sticks. It's the client who then has to wade through that mess trying to find the most suitable candidate for the role.

Comment

You think an interview is most of the work when dealing with contractors? Really. You post some dumb stuff but I thought you'd know better than this.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You think an interview is most of the work when dealing with contractors? Really. You post some dumb stuff but I thought you'd know better than this.
              Prey tell. What exactly constitutes "most of the work" for a client, that an agent removes when dealing with one?

Comment

Prey tell. What exactly constitutes "most of the work" for a client, that an agent removes when dealing with one?
                Have you ever interviewed people?

If you have you would be aware that even before you get the final handful of CVs lots of filtering goes on.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If you have you would be aware that even before you get the final handful of CVs lots of filtering goes on.
                  Yes, I have. And yes, I'm fully aware that a lot of filtering goes on.

And you think that agent's know enough about the skills within the roles that they're recruiting for that they're able to to efficiently and correctly perform that filtering?

Agents do indeed perform filtering, but it's not to ensure the best qualified candidate gets to the client. Most likely the filtering is done on the basis of which candidate is the most manipulable, hence, who's likely to accept the lowest possible rate when the agent decides they want to increase their margin. Agents filter for themselves, rarely for the good of the client.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yes.

It's easy. First, randomly throw half the cv's into the bin; you don't want to work with unlucky people anyway.

Compare cv to salary expectations and that's half of them gone.
                    Then consider those that have over-achieved - becoming an expert in something in 3 months for example. Always get one of those sort in to destroy them as entertainment.

Then get the three in that you actually want to interview as well.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Yes, I have. And yes, I'm fully aware that a lot of filtering goes on.

And you think that agent's know enough about the skills within the roles that they're recruiting for that they're able to to efficiently and correctly perform that filtering?
                      Most people doing the initial recruitment for skilled jobs don't know much about the day-to-day skills needed to do the role whether they are recruiting for accountant or a nurse. So while do you think IT roles would be any different?

Agents do indeed perform filtering, but it's not to ensure the best qualified candidate gets to the client. Most likely the filtering is done on the basis of which candidate is the most manipulable, hence, who's likely to accept the lowest possible rate when the agent decides they want to increase their margin. Agents filter for themselves, rarely for the good of the client.
                      You presume that both agents and clients wait around for the best qualified candidate or would even choose them if they are available. They don't and won't.

People have lots of biases on who they recruit for a role, plus there are other factors like time and the number of other agencies looking for candidates which influence who gets put forward.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X