• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do recruiters want your CV even when you've said you're not available?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    You shouldn't even be getting pestered by ANY agencies when you're in a gig.

Always use a PAYG mobile phone SIM card and bin it after you've secured a gig. Get a new one, with a new number and give that new number ONLY to the agent for whom you're currently contracted, whilst the contract is in force. Once the contract expires, you can give that number to all other agencies (i.e. put it on your CV, LinkedIn etc.) until you secure a new role. At that point, you rinse and repeat.

You'll never be bothered by an agent when you're "unavailable" ever again!
    That's a good way to miss a potential contract when an extension doesn't come through.

Just learn to cut agents of on the phone.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I must admit I find this aggressive stance towards agents a bit bemusing. They are a necessary evil but they are key to me being a contractor so it's just about playing the game. That said I don't get spammed by them so maybe I've had an easier time of it. I don't get why people would hate someone ringing them up offering them work though. 99 times out of 100 it comes to nothing but that one time it lands me a gig that I can bill 10's of K for. Is that not worth a bit of hassle? Would you rather they didn't?

I understand what they do and why they do it so can't blame them for calling me while in contract and a couple of phone calls from time to time won't kill me. What I do is ask them a couple of questions about the gig to see if I know anyone that might be able to do it. If not I advise I can't help them at this time and ask for them to drop me an email and I'll send them my updated CV. I never do but I store the agent's mail away. Come bench time I go back through every mail I've got and send them my CV saying I'm available and forget about it.

Takes next to no time, no skin of my nose and one day it will pay dividends (literally) keeping in touch.

Don't be a hater, play them at their game and make them work for you I'd say.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        I have seen a few cases where it was part of their personal KPIs. One wrote in his linkedin profile he met his target of 2 new LinkedIn connections and 2 new CV's harvested per day.
        Makes me want to create fake linked in profiles and CVs. Get my own back.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Makes me want to create fake linked in profiles and CVs. Get my own back.....
          You could waste their time even more and let them connect to your real one
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Always use a PAYG mobile phone SIM card and bin it after you've secured a gig. Get a new one, with a new number and give that new number ONLY to the agent for whom you're currently contracted, whilst the contract is in force. Once the contract expires, you can give that number to all other agencies (i.e. put it on your CV, LinkedIn etc.) until you secure a new role. At that point, you rinse and repeat.

You forgot to add... Change your name, get plastic surgery and move house!

Comment

I just let them go to voicemail if I'm not looking. It's a bit easier than acting like an amateur private detective.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I must admit I find this aggressive stance towards agents a bit bemusing. They are a necessary evil but they are key to me being a contractor so it's just about playing the game. That said I don't get spammed by them so maybe I've had an easier time of it. I don't get why people would hate someone ringing them up offering them work though. 99 times out of 100 it comes to nothing but that one time it lands me a gig that I can bill 10's of K for. Is that not worth a bit of hassle? Would you rather they didn't?

I understand what they do and why they do it so can't blame them for calling me while in contract and a couple of phone calls from time to time won't kill me. What I do is ask them a couple of questions about the gig to see if I know anyone that might be able to do it. If not I advise I can't help them at this time and ask for them to drop me an email and I'll send them my updated CV. I never do but I store the agent's mail away. Come bench time I go back through every mail I've got and send them my CV saying I'm available and forget about it.

Takes next to no time, no skin of my nose and one day it will pay dividends (literally) keeping in touch.

Don't be a hater, play them at their game and make them work for you I'd say.
                I have a handful I will always speak to.
                They are all named mobile numbers in my phone, however.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  I have a handful I will always speak to.
                  They are all named mobile numbers in my phone, however.
                  ^^This

Comment

Trawling their Facebook page and then tweeting a photoshopped photo of their pets has the same effect, but without the expense and paperwork.

Comment

Well that sounds very business like.

Comment

Working...
                      X