• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do recruiters want your CV even when you've said you're not available?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do recruiters want your CV even when you've said you're not available?

Several times recruiters have been in touch and I've have not be available for months, or have just got a contract.

Frequently though they still want me to send them a copy of my CV "so we can connect easier when I'm free again".

Why?

By then my CV will have changed. Is this some sort of trick to get my CV for nefarious purposes, or is it genuinely useful to them? If they want to see where I've worked they can just see my LinkedIn profile.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid.

Originally posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    Several times recruiters have been in touch and I've have not be available for months, or have just got a contract.

Frequently though they still want me to send them a copy of my CV "so we can connect easier when I'm free again".

Why?

By then my CV will have changed. Is this some sort of trick to get my CV for nefarious purposes, or is it genuinely useful to them? If they want to see where I've worked they can just see my LinkedIn profile.

It's all about the data, ask Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, all provide their services for free in exchange for your data, that's priceless these days. Oh and so that they can spam your old companies to see if they want any more bodies.

Comment

Why?

It is genuinely useful to them. They can try to sell you to other companies. And they can try to get a replacement in to do your role. For you, there is only downside.

Comment

I'd say you are. Some will do a keyword check against existing CV's to proactively look for the right candidates. They can then cross check with your linkedin status to see if you are available and then ring you to match you to a role.

Back to reality though.... They could also just do a badly executed keyword check and spam your inbox with the gig in the hope you'll be available/interested/even work in that area and give them a call.

I was looking for a contractor at my last gig and the agency offered some people they'd already worked with and had on their systems instead of having to go out to Jobserve etc. It can happen.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Back to reality though.... They could also just do a badly executed keyword check and spam your inbox with the gig in the hope you'll be available/interested/even work in that area and give them a call.

I was looking for a contractor at my last gig and the agency offered some people they'd already worked with and had on their systems instead of having to go out to Jobserve etc. It can happen.
          It has happened to me more than once.

The fact I'm on an agency's spam list means I've often be put forward, interviewed and/or offered the role before they put it out on Jobserve simply due to replying to the email.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Interesting, mixed responses then. The more cynical responses were much of what I expected the recruiters to be up to!

I'll err on the side of not giving them my CV unless I'm actively looking. Perhaps if I'm struggling to get contracts in the future I may change that.

Comment

I have seen a few cases where it was part of their personal KPIs. One wrote in his linkedin profile he met his target of 2 new LinkedIn connections and 2 new CV's harvested per day.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                I have seen a few cases where it was part of their personal KPIs. One wrote in his linkedin profile he met his target of 2 new LinkedIn connections and 2 new CV's harvested per day.
                How thick!
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  How thick!
                  Agent thick. Many of them are market traders in suits. Not all are streetwise.

The good ones are relationship builders. To be honest, I'd be tempted to give recruitment a try myself. It could be quite refreshing for clients to know that the recruiter is ex-IT.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Interesting, mixed responses then. The more cynical responses were much of what I expected the recruiters to be up to!

I'll err on the side of not giving them my CV unless I'm actively looking. Perhaps if I'm struggling to get contracts in the future I may change that.
                    You shouldn't even be getting pestered by ANY agencies when you're in a gig.

Always use a PAYG mobile phone SIM card and bin it after you've secured a gig. Get a new one, with a new number and give that new number ONLY to the agent for whom you're currently contracted, whilst the contract is in force. Once the contract expires, you can give that number to all other agencies (i.e. put it on your CV, LinkedIn etc.) until you secure a new role. At that point, you rinse and repeat.

You'll never be bothered by an agent when you're "unavailable" ever again!

Comment

Working...
                    X