• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there such a thing as an honest recruitment agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there such a thing as an honest recruitment agency?

I plague with agencies that do nothing other get your details and then you never hear from them again, they won't tell you who the company is, won't tell you if they've sent your details across, have no idea what they're asking you for.
    I honestly though by now these shark like practices would have been stamped out.

Originally posted by hardboiled View Post
    I plague with agencies that do nothing other get your details and then you never hear from them again, they won't tell you who the company is, won't tell you if they've sent your details across, have no idea what they're asking you for.
    I honestly though by now these shark like practices would have been stamped out.
    Don't confuse honesty (which is sometimes an issue) with intelligence (which is frequently an issue).

Comment

Let's break this down for you:
      "do nothing other get your details and then you never hear from them again"
      They've got your cv and can target your current and previous employers.

"they won't tell you who the company is"
      There isn't an opportunity, they wanted your cv and now have it. You're now just a nuisance.

"won't tell you if they've sent your details across"
      There isn't an opportunity, they wanted your cv and now have it. You're now just a nuisance.

"have no idea what they're asking you for"
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Really?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You need to understand agents better than this if you are going to play them at their own game.

Seems very convenient we've had two posts on virtually the same topic in the space of 45 mins...
          Last edited by northernladuk; 15 March 2017, 11:09.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been slowly re-learning after 6 years in a perm role what agents are like. I really think it's an inherent gene to be dishonest and lie at every opportunity for 99% of agents.

For candidates, it's about learning and boxing clever and being extremely careful who you part information with. Learn who is wasting your time and who is genuinely going to help you find a role (and the right role). These are few and far between.

I do suspect there are good recruiters out there, I have spoke to dozens and dozens over the last 2 months and I'm yet to find one that I would solely put my trust and faith in to genuinely find me a position and be open and honest with me. I've spoken to a handful who I thought were good, but it's all just hot air and they've been unable to back up their "sales pitch".
            I did know 2 fantastic recruiter agents from back in the day, but they've moved on to the Director jobs in the city and have no interest in wasting time on individual roles any more

These days, it appears to be all about kids spouting "lets meet coffee" and "I'll find you a role within 2 weeks with your CV" to the comics that spew the oldest chestnut "I'll need a couple of references". I've heard a lifetime of BS over the last 2 months, but I suspect that comes with contracting until I have a couple of years contracting under my belt and the personal network has grown to a point where agencies are no longer required.

Hopefully some people will be having better luck than I've had to date with agencies.
            Last edited by kh64; 15 March 2017, 10:47.

Comment

Work out who are the key agencies for your market.
              Work with senior recruiters rather than the low level common dirge and ignore the chancers.

I only work with 2-3 agencies now, although it has been quite a while since I even used them, as I'm direct now.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

and there was I thinking I'd been singled out!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Work out who are the key agencies for your market.
                  Work with senior recruiters rather than the low level common dirge and ignore the chancers.

I only work with 2-3 agencies now, although it has been quite a while since I even used them, as I'm direct now.

But sure to work out which agencies are good and bad you have to go through this time wasting process!......and none of them are going to say they're time wasters, they're all brilliant and don't work like the other agencies because they're marvellous.... cough cough!

Comment

Don't be a hater. It's part of what we do. Accept it and play it or just be miserable and complain. Your choice.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X