• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there such a thing as an honest recruitment agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philo View Post
    I can deal with a lot of the silliness of recruitment - chasing references, asking who can they speak to at a previous office etc.

My main gripe is after going for an interview not getting the call or email to say you were unsuccessful. I think thats unprofessional if you have gone to the effort to go to an interview and call the agency up to let them know how it went and built up a perceived relationship with them from initial call.

I'm not sure if its because they can't be arsed as someone has been placed and their getting paid or whether they want to give the person who has been given the job a week or so to see if they sign up and complete the first week and maybe they will give you a call then.

I think thats what leaves a sour taste for me. And its not just the smaller agencies that do this.
    True. Definite no because xyz, second place because top applicant had abc skill that you didn't but don't discount it because he's playing hardball on rate - you can probably sneak into first place if you can drop your rate but similarly you won't know if you're in first place and they're pulling a fast one to get a bigger wedge.

It's just a land of confusion. Accept that if they want you, they'll call.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      True. Definite no because xyz, second place because top applicant had abc skill that you didn't but don't discount it because he's playing hardball on rate - you can probably sneak into first place if you can drop your rate but similarly you won't know if you're in first place and they're pulling a fast one to get a bigger wedge.

It's just a land of confusion. Accept that if they want you, they'll call.
      This.

It's very simple really.

Not really interested in speaking to the agent after the interview, unless I know that agent well.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by kh64 View Post
        I do suspect there are good recruiters out there
        And I believe there's a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow!

Comment

You are correct agents should ring out of courtesy but as I think back every contract I have ever had has been fairly straightforward and not needed any chasing. The time to go out of your way and get hold of an agent is when you first put the application in.

Thats said if you have the time making agents squirm can be enjoyable enough so pester away!

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            You are correct agents should ring out of courtesy but as I think back every contract I have ever had has been fairly straightforward and not needed any chasing. The time to go out of your way and get hold of an agent is when you first put the application in.

Thats said if you have the time making agents squirm can be enjoyable enough so pester away!
            I found this to be very very true, quickly. Initially, I was sending in a lot of applications and waiting for my phone to ring.
            It didnt take long to figure out that contract roles go very very quickly and agents simply wont read CVs, but will talk to people following up immediately with a phone call and they gather their 3 or 4 candidates to put forward that way.

To the issue of not getting back to people post interview(s), my experience has that this has been with younger agents. I suspect they are not yet experienced or comfortable delivering bad news, without realising that simply delivering no news at all and hoping it all goes away is inifinitely worse. I've found that older recruiters keep you in the loop and do get back to you.

I've also found that going direct to companies (i.e. no agency in the middle) yields zero feedback at all and companies almost never get back to candidates who have interviewed and will not be progressed.
            If you think agencies are a PITA and dont really know what they're recruiting for, then HR managers are even worse!
            Last edited by kh64; 15 March 2017, 13:57.

Comment

I've had an agent prolong telling me I didn't get the gig because they were hoping that they can line up another gig for me.

Comment

Rather than waste my energies getting mad at them l use my energies trying to go direct. Not easy by any means but when you do it's all the more sweeter.

Finding a client who hates them more than you certainly helps.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  This.

It's very simple really.

Not really interested in speaking to the agent after the interview, unless I know that agent well.
                  +1
                  The only feedback I need is 'you've got the contract'.

No call back, I get the picture.

I don't need a 'courtesy call'. Once you realise that the agent doing a courtesy call will 99% of the time be lying about why you didn't get it, you soon realise you really don't need that call.

Even if you smashed the interview and think you've got it, you shouldn't stop applying for other roles or be otherwise hanging around waiting to hear.

Comment

and quite often it's near on impossible to speak to the organ grinder because the monkey won't let you or pass you on. This two tiered pleb system drives me nuts.
                    nuts!!

Comment

Originally posted by hardboiled View Post
                      and quite often it's near on impossible to speak to the organ grinder because the monkey won't let you or pass you on. This two tiered pleb system drives me nuts.
                      nuts!!
                      Not if you have their personal mobiles its not

Business relationships take time and it seems you are at the start of your journey.

We have all had to put up with recruiter monkey business in the past, you either MTFU or go back perm.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X