• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving/Doing Up Home Office, Expenses Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Well the one I'm sat on I've had for 15 years and it only cost me £350 when I bought it (and they are still the same price on ebay)...

Ha, I found 3 at a car boot sale in Hull of all places for 60 quid. 200 ish more at parts from Herman Miller and they were as good as new. 5 years use out of one of them. The other 2 are in the attic, but hey they are not losing any value.

Comment

I looked over a wall at Picaddily station and the floor below has a gated section of the underground car park. Load of old chairs and tables dumped including 2 Aerons. Tried finding who had the key and who's stuff it was to no avail. Gutted.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I looked over a wall at Picaddily station and the floor below has a gated section of the underground car park. Load of old chairs and tables dumped including 2 Aerons. Tried finding who had the key and who's stuff it was to no avail. Gutted.
        Ouch. I am seriously considering buying a van. The stuff that is thrown out in my neighborhood in DK (Osterbro in Copenhangen) is unbelievable. A few weeks ago the local kids were congregating on what Google later told me were a pair of Sofas worth €2k each. Shortly to follow was a full Smeg kitchen.

It's kind of a upperclass psuedo-hippy sharing community where beautiful things are put on the street. I will have no shame in picking them up.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          He works in IT.

HMRC aren't going to query about a desk, printer and scanner.

It's more about the fact you aren't saving that much money buying stuff through your company.
          Yes I work in IT and my accountant has recommended I move off the FRS for next fin year, therefore I will be able to recaim VAT on expenses no?

If yes, that is a significant saving I think.

And strangely enough, my chair is knackered and I need a new one. I think only an Aeron chair would be suitable...

Comment

Originally posted by MikhailCompo View Post
            Yes I work in IT and my accountant has recommended I move off the FRS for next fin year, therefore I will be able to recaim VAT on expenses no?

If yes, that is a significant saving I think.
            Not sure your thinking is right there.

Comment

Not sure your thinking is right there.
              In which way?

Comment

In theory an antique desk should be as allowable as a cheap Argos one. My current desk is a kitchen worktop with 4 £3 legs from IKEA but when we move I want to get something more in keeping with the older house. I sit at the desk 6+ hours a day and it is my work desk so if want a nice one I'm damn well getting one

PS: Aeron was too rich for me, I got a nice fancy chair from IKEA for ~£150.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MikhailCompo View Post
                  In which way?
                  You don't save that much money.

Hence buy just what you need.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You don't save that much money.

Hence buy just what you need.
                    I was more on the point the thinking around him saying he's moving off FRS so can claim VAT so it's a significant saving. You meant the same?

Comment

I was more on the point the thinking around him saying he's moving off FRS so can claim VAT so it's a significant saving. You meant the same?
                      Yep but I was also thinking of the small saving you make by paying for it before corp tax.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X