• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Sydney

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    I contracted over there for 12 months in 2006/2007, so this info may be a bit old now, but I loved it. Easy to find work, if you've got good skills. I found certifications help. Back then rates were more like $400/$500 a day. Tax is more like PAYE but you could get a Living Away From Home Allowance (LAFHA) which gives you quite a bit more take home. The accountancy type firms took a big cut though to arrange this so look into if it could be done cheaper. I didn't come across any 6 month limits. I worked for a single client for 12 months, sponsored by my agency so that I could move clients if I wanted.

Lifestyle? Awesome! I was around 30 with my girlfriend. There are loads of places you can live to be close to the beach with an easy commute. My favourite was Manly, and you get a ferry to work each morning. Accomodation was and is even more expensive now. Beer and cost of living is relatively expensive.

Just do it. Even if its for a year.

Just an update LAFHA disappeared a couple of years back.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
      I would be on the plane now.

The main consideration is that property prices are astronomical in Sydney and anywhere in commuting distance. Highly desirable place and a dumping ground for Chinese money.
      I've looked for properties and it's not THAT bad. Ok 1m AUD but that's like £600k.
      So London with seaside, surfing, contracts, happy people, clean air and sharks Count me in.

Need to pass english test first though haha

Comment

Hi

I lived in Melbourne 2010 - 2014, perm rather than contract. If in your position I would definitely give it a go. $800 a day would be plenty to live off although the cost of living in Oz and particularly Sydney (Melbourne is not far behind) is expensive. LAFHA as mentioned previously has gone which is a shame as it certainly made a big difference to me and my family. Lifestyle etc. IMO is much better. Why did I come back? Youngest lad was starting school and missus was pregnant and wanted a bit more family support, my Gran was getting old and has now passed away so got to see her for a few years. Would I go back - definitely!

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
          I've looked for properties and it's not THAT bad. Ok 1m AUD but that's like £600k.
          So London with seaside, surfing, contracts, happy people, clean air and sharks Count me in.

Need to pass english test first though haha

You probably don't need one ... Exempt if you are one of the below

•The applicant holds a passport from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada or New Zealand; or
          •The applicant has completed 5 years of education at the secondary or tertiary level in English medium; or
          •The applicant is to be paid over the English Language Skills Exemption Threshold (ELSET), which is currently $96,400

Comment

Hi.

My advise assuming you are still working via a U.K. Agency via a Ltd uk company that is. Make sure you don't pay for your accommodation via you company books or provided by a 3rd party. Pay for it personally then claim the Daily Scale rate for Sydney whilst you are sent there which is $227 room rate plus $195 residual total $422 per day against you expenses which are not even p11d required. More details on HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by rawly View Post
              Hi.

My advise assuming you are still working via a U.K. Agency via a Ltd uk company that is. Make sure you don't pay for your accommodation via you company books or provided by a 3rd party. Pay for it personally then claim the Daily Scale rate for Sydney whilst you are sent there which is $227 room rate plus $195 residual total $422 per day against you expenses which are not even p11d required. More details on HMRC.
              You mean stick to uk ltd and work via it in Sydney ?? Or corporate in Australia?

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                You mean stick to uk ltd and work via it in Sydney ?? Or corporate in Australia?
                I can't answer the overall question of staying as Uk Ltd or going Local, I guess that's a bigger question of how long your contract is, and what the agency says. All I was pointing out is that sometimes it gets over looked that when posted abroad your fully entitled to use the HMRC Scale rates for each city per 24 hour period you are there, and you should balance up the pros and cons of applying the full HMRC fixed allowances, in lieu of collecting endless receipts for food , travel, and accommodation when assigned abroad.

From what a read there's a general consensus many contractors are not aware of these, or there is a reluctance to apply them as there's also a misconception you need to apply for a dispensation, which you also don't need to do (that's only for applying an agreed Scale rate when working within the U.K.)

HMRC publish what they say are maximum allowable payments you can legitimately claim for working in a specified city, and it's fully allowable , tax free, and saves a lot of daily paperwork too. Given the opportunity you can apply the scheme.
                Last edited by rawly; 13 March 2017, 17:09.

Comment

Working...
                X