• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Sydney

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would simply ask what have you got to lose?
    Has your Mum got other family to help her here?

I have travelled and lived abroad quite extensively so less of an attraction for me now.
    If I was your age again, I would be going for it like a shot.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
      May I know what made you come back then?
      We just decided to move on. We then went to NZ and did a snowboard season over there, travelled India for a couple of months then another snowboard season in Austria. I'm glad we came back, it makes you appreciate this country a lot more and all my friends and family are here. Sometimes I miss the sunshine but apart from that this is a pretty good country. Most people I know who made a move over there came back for similar reasons. I have no regrets and it was an awesome 12 months over there

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        For between £400 / £500 it must be a lifestyle choice. No harm in trying something different while you can.
        400/500 is more than I'm getting in northwest, in tulipty weather.
        I dream of a small yacht, but you can only get canal narrow boat here. Oh and water is dark black, grey with occasional goo on the top, with plenty of shopping carts and beer bottles swimming in it
        Seriously there must be better place somewhere

Comment

400/500 is more than I'm getting in northwest, in tulipty weather.
          I dream of a small yacht, but you can only get canal narrow boat here. Oh and water is dark black, grey with occasional goo on the top, with plenty of shopping carts and beer bottles swimming in it
          Seriously there must be better place somewhere
          Very easy to get involved with boating out there, you don't have to own it.

It will rely on the fairly tall order of you getting the right friends first

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Yeah we decided yesterday with girlfriend that after this gig we are going there for a year.... hoping to get visa in 2 months before contract ends. We both can get skilled visa so that might actually work and be relatively fast...

Obviously subject to getting the visa and getting interviews over skype

Comment

Yeah we decided yesterday with girlfriend that after this gig we are going there for a year.... hoping to get visa in 2 months before contract ends. We both can get skilled visa so that might actually work and be relatively fast...

Obviously subject to getting the visa and getting interviews over skype
              Cool, nice one.

Good luck!
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Very easy to get involved with boating out there, you don't have to own it.

It will rely on the fairly tall order of you getting the right friends first

Is that you in the "A+F" tee shirt?

Comment

1. Anyone applied for point based skilled visa? is it hard to get once you fill the papers? I know they are sending 1200 invitations twice a month, I just wonder if anyone had to wait long for it? _ I worked on a 457 for a number of years and then moved to perm resident visa. Stayed 10 years but back in the UK now. If you are on 457 your sponsor holds the visa and you can only contract via them. Another contract with another agent = new visa needed

2. Whats the reality about properties there, whats the best website to look for them? The only I found was right move, and trust me i looked! - Property is very expensive and if you are new to oz finding a rental is hard + expensive. Look at domain.com.au

3. I've read that there's 5% unemployment, heard opinions that it's more about 15% and hard to get a job? IT market is harder than it was as due to cost of living / wage costs they are big in outsourcing so a lot of roles have moved offshore. If you have good skills / plenty of experience you should be ok. Have a look on seek.com.au for roles

4. Whats the quality of life, traffics, air pollution , transport ? Again on paper it sounds like a dream, but I'm keen hear it from someone that been there, aussie - Quality of life is good but you pay for it. Housing / food & drink all expensive. I loved it but when I had kids it was time to be closer to home so I came back.

5. whats the weather like, does it have winter at all ? - Sydney weather is great.. blue skys a lot of the time. It does have a short winter but def not like a Uk winter

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                    Is that you in the "A+F" tee shirt?
                    Errrrr, no.

I'm far better looking than that
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I would be on the plane now.

The main consideration is that property prices are astronomical in Sydney and anywhere in commuting distance. Highly desirable place and a dumping ground for Chinese money.

Comment

Working...
                      X