• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DevOps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DevOps

Hi,

A lot of roles advertised in my area (Agile) talk about DevOps model but I'm not sure whether they're using the wrong terminology or I'm missing something.

Anyone got any ideas what this means?

Thanks

VC

Erm, I don't want to be rude but DevOps been a buzz word for quite awhile now. Tons of stuff about it on google as well. If you don't know what it is by now you need to do some reading and quick.

That said, it's another buzz word that everyone 'thinks' they are doing but is executed so badly in most cases it no way reflects what it is supposed to do. One of my ex clients had picked up on this and was calling it a distributed DevOps. This meant Dev was in one building, Ops somewhere else and they had regular communication so must be a DevOps function
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Erm, I don't want to be rude but DevOps been a buzz word for quite awhile now. Tons of stuff about it on google as well. If you don't know what it is by now you need to do some reading and quick.

That said, it's another buzz word that everyone 'thinks' they are doing but is executed so badly in most cases it no way reflects what it is supposed to do. One of my ex clients had picked up on this and was calling it a distributed DevOps. This meant Dev was in one building, Ops somewhere else and they had regular communication so must be a DevOps function
      That was one of the things which came to mind as well.

I know what it is - but I don't necessarily know what clients think it is. Hence why I'm on here for everyone's experience.

Btw - I asked my accountant and they didn't know either

Comment

Here DevOps are a team that people get seconded to if they want to and they have useful skills. They are responsible for automated build servers and other generic tools which are used across the various software teams.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

DevOps (and this is from memory based on my understanding) is supposed to be a development team whose sole responsibility is unburdening the other dev teams from tasks that aren't directly related to achieving business value - in other words things like managing the CI pipeline, environment setup, source control infrastructure. The kind of thing that developers would otherwise have to fend for themselves with.

That said, current (large) client have a new DevOps team, and as far as I can tell, do none of these things. And no I don't know what they actually do.

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
            DevOps (and this is from memory based on my understanding) is supposed to be a development team whose sole responsibility is unburdening the other dev teams from tasks that aren't directly related to achieving business value - in other words things like managing the CI pipeline, environment setup, source control infrastructure. The kind of thing that developers would otherwise have to fend for themselves with.

That said, current (large) client have a new DevOps team, and as far as I can tell, do none of these things. And no I don't know what they actually do.
            That top bit seems to agree with the meaning we apply to the phrase.

At a very basic level it is the difference between a software developer - who just writes software for a user to use, and a 'techy' who manages and maintains the environments the software is developed in.

Comment

DevOps == Cross-functional team == Wearing many hats == Jack of all trades, master of none == Cowboys.

Comment

This (the first part) is what is supposed be. As the traditional IT/Ops teams are often overburdened with processes/red tape they are to rigid to suit the "Agile development" needs of constant change and fiddling with stuff. A team of IT engineers who have significant knowledge in both fields can be very beneficial (and i have seen it in practice to a degree).

The problem is that in reality DevOps is misunderstood and poorly implemented. Often it boiling down to: We are already paying developers bundles of cash, they know computers, right? Let them manage their own infrastructure instead of paying extra cash for Ops guys. Needless to say the long term results are disastrous.

Comment

For it to be successful you definitely need mature automation. Can you really expect that under pressure dev to apply vuln patches to that internal cloud VM when they are under deadline pressure? For now my office is just aligning infrastructure resources to development pods until everything is self serve.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
                    Hi,

A lot of roles advertised in my area (Agile) talk about DevOps model but I'm not sure whether they're using the wrong terminology or I'm missing something.

Anyone got any ideas what this means?

Thanks

VC
                    It is an operations (e.g. sysadmin, infrastructure etc) model that works in tandem with development, including often taking part in daily scrums, retrospectives etc, rather than being an entirely different function. Software development haven't delivered any value until the software is put in front of users, so there is a great deal of interest in having development and operations function as one.

DevOps is not a role (regardless of what recruiters make you think when they advertise for a 'senior DevOps'). it is a mindset, similar to but not the same as agile. Similar lines of thinking though, but from an ops rather than dev perspective.

In Lean terms, it is the integration of different parts of the value chain to consistently and with great quality deliver value to customers as quickly as possible. At least that's the aim, but old habits, turf thinking and "the way we've always done things around here" mentality usually puts great blockers in the way. It would be easy if it weren't for people.
                    Last edited by m0n1k3r; 27 February 2017, 23:22.

Comment

Working...
                    X