• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor to Permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor to Permie

I know that there has been many discussions with regards to what salary people would take to go from contractor to permie. However I am looking for some advice from people.

I am currently a Cisco CCNP qualified network engineer working in the public sector. Obviously with all the IR35 changes i am looking for a new contract, before the new tax year.

However a previous company i used to work for is now advertising a permie position and I have a meeting/Interview to chat about it.

I have been contracting for 2 years and my average day rate is around £325.

The permie position is offering 55k plus up to 15% bonus, 10% pension contributions with all the health benefits share saving scheme etc. As well as it been only a 10 minute drive away. Finally the start date would be tied in with the new tax year allowing a smooth transition.

The difficulty I am in deciding is the financial aspect as well as the freedom, i initially decided to myself that if i was offered the role i would accept but now i am having doubts.

I haven't really had an issue finding contracts each time on finished however with the market likely to be flooding with people leaving the public sector its likely to become saturated.

Any one else been in the situation who can offer advise?

Thanks

Originally posted by CISCOITCONTRACTOR View Post
    I know that there has been many discussions with regards to what salary people would take to go from contractor to permie. However I am looking for some advice from people.

I am currently a Cisco CCNP qualified network engineer working in the public sector. Obviously with all the IR35 changes i am looking for a new contract, before the new tax year.

However a previous company i used to work for is now advertising a permie position and I have a meeting/Interview to chat about it.

I have been contracting for 2 years and my average day rate is around £325.

The permie position is offering 55k plus up to 15% bonus, 10% pension contributions with all the health benefits share saving scheme etc. As well as it been only a 10 minute drive away. Finally the start date would be tied in with the new tax year allowing a smooth transition.

The difficulty I am in deciding is the financial aspect as well as the freedom, i initially decided to myself that if i was offered the role i would accept but now i am having doubts.

I haven't really had an issue finding contracts each time on finished however with the market likely to be flooding with people leaving the public sector its likely to become saturated.

Any one else been in the situation who can offer advise?

Thanks
    Rate comparison aligns. Think about the reasons of why you would want to go permie other than the money - career progression, training opps, benefits etc. For some this is ideal, for a contractor mindset, not so much.

Comment

325 a day? Take it, skill up and come back in the future and get a better rate. You don't want to be spending the rest of your life on 325 a day.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

GTFO of Cisco Contracting, like 16 years ago. CCIEs have been 10 a penny for years. CCNPs, well.....

That GBP325pd is never going to improve. Snap up a permit job that will allow you to diversify, ideally into M2M (or if you must IoT). In terms of financials the one you gave as an example looks good if the career development is there, vertical and horizontal. Infrastructure and support contracts are going nowhere.

The IR35 headaches and the PS issues you have identified are valid.

I was in the position you are in post internet boom crash. Slightly before, Cisco were for a time the largest company in the world and IEs were easily commanding 2K. Slightly before there were tens of thousands of IEs. Cisco contracting was heavenly in those days. I am sorry you missed the boat by 2 decades. I don't mean this sarcastically, it was wild.
        Last edited by clearedforlanding; 21 February 2017, 22:04.

Comment

Thanks guys. Idea of contracting was to try accelerating my skill set which has worked and to take on a challenge. Don't want to be seen as giving up or opting for the easy life.

Comment

Thanks clear. The opportunity has lots of opportunity to develop skills, security and cloud computing. Making me feel my gut reaction to go for it was correct.

Comment

That's a decent salary for a CCNP permie job. The network architects on my current gig are just scraping 50 and it's a fairly large IT provider.

I'd say if you can find someone for £500+ a day then i'd be thinking twice.

Comment

Take the perm role skill up & hope you do not get outsourced as sooner or later a lot of these roles are going away to those who will do the same role for perhaps 60-70% less than you via consultancy's or offshoring models. Most UK based IT support roles are on borrowed time now the IT staffing cost is becoming a major drain to many UK businesses others are willing to step in & offer a solution which saves them a lot of money and the lack of certs & or of experience is irrelevant when any losses from mistakes are underwritten by the company providing the alternative staffing solution.

Comment

Hi guys. Wondering if you could offer further advice. I now have an interview for a contract role £350 a day 6months gig. I now don't know what to do. Should I go for interview just in case the permie role doesn't pay off? I know I haven't got the job but what happens if I was offered both roles which one should I go for?

Comment

Originally posted by CISCOITCONTRACTOR View Post
                    Hi guys. Wondering if you could offer further advice. I now have an interview for a contract role £350 a day 6months gig. I now don't know what to do. Should I go for interview just in case the permie role doesn't pay off? I know I haven't got the job but what happens if I was offered both roles which one should I go for?
                    Of course you go for the other interview!!!

And....

MTFU
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X