• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security for a Startup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security for a Startup?

So I am starting a company with my stepdad and I am going to be incorporating technology into it. My grandfather didn't have technology and was telling me about how everything was handwritten and mailed out, and how he had a hard copy of everything. I plan to still have a hard copy of everything just in case something happens, but I really want to use different programs to keep track of everything, do invoicing, and even possibly advertise. My question is, how many of you use the internet to your advantage and how do you protect your business online? I assume it should be more than what I have on my personal computer (antivirus and firewall), but I don't know what else I would need. Thanks!

Originally posted by Abbyj View Post
    So I am starting a company with my stepdad and I am going to be incorporating technology into it. My grandfather didn't have technology and was telling me about how everything was handwritten and mailed out, and how he had a hard copy of everything. I plan to still have a hard copy of everything just in case something happens, but I really want to use different programs to keep track of everything, do invoicing, and even possibly advertise. My question is, how many of you use the internet to your advantage and how do you protect your business online? I assume it should be more than what I have on my personal computer (antivirus and firewall), but I don't know what else I would need. Thanks!
    What are you have been living in the woods ? I wouldn't touch technology if I could..

Comment

Think that you need to go back to basics.

Take a look at this stuff then come back once you've read them.

Startup info

Legal stuff https://www.gov.uk/set-up-business

Top tips: Top tips for starting your own business - BBC News

And get a book Starting & Running a Business All-in-One For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance)) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/11191521..._xanNybQZ8DXRX

And I think that you will be better off in a small business forum than here try https://www.smallbusinessforums.org/ I'm sure that they will be able to help - we can't teach you this stuff from scratch.

Good Luck.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Abbyj View Post
        My question is, how many of you use the internet to your advantage...
        You clearly haven't seen the Counselling and Therapy section here on CUK.

It's the link up above, marked General. Give it a try.
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Have a look at the UK Business forum site as you will get the generic basic info on there that you probably need right now.

Comment

Difficult to know where to start.

First up get your email and domains sorted with a cloud provider. I prefer Office365 as that gets you loads of extra bits and is the industry standard these days. You can also keep all your data in the cloud that way.
            You can even run a business from a (fully encrypted) iPad that way. And that way you can reduce the need to worry about security of the devices

Find an accountant who understands the business you are going to do and that you trust. He'll (probably) be useless for the technology but will be able to aid in other ways.

Join local business networking groups. They can be very helpful, but remember they are all trying to sell you something as well.

Be prepared to go bust as most startups do. And be prepared for the fallout with your stepdad if it does.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you Lance for the help. I understand that most startups go bust, but the only reason we decided to start a business is because there are a ton of people where we live asking my stepdad to do work on their houses and what not (he has a construction background), and since we live in a rural area, we thought it would be worth the shot.

Now, when you say a fully encrypted ipad, is this what you mean How to use your iPad securely | Macworld I guess I have never really worked with encryption.

Comment

I am dubious about the OP. This thread is locked.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                X