• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 day car hire confusion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Presumably the BIK would be 1/52 of what it would normally be though? Or do company car rules not apply to short term rental?
    Dunno. I just can't see why he would put it through the company at all TBH so dunno about the details.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by confusedman View Post
      hi all I have had mixed response's on this from friends wondered if I could have some input.

my personal car is in the garage from Friday. can I hire a hire car for 3 day's to get to and from home and contract. would be no personal journeys jus whilst it is in for repair ?
      Bit late now but anyhoo.
      I presume you're at client site (on Friday) car has broken down and in garage locally (to client site).
      You want to hire a car to get you home Friday and to Client site Monday morning?
      So why not hire a car for four days and just claim for two ( Friday and Monday)?

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
        Bit late now but anyhoo.
        I presume you're at client site (on Friday) car has broken down and in garage locally (to client site).
        You want to hire a car to get you home Friday and to Client site Monday morning?
        So why not hire a car for four days and just claim for two ( Friday and Monday)?
        On Friday evening it would still be "available for personal" use.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Could you just claim 45ppm for the work journeys on Friday & Monday?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Could you just claim 45ppm for the work journeys on Friday & Monday?
            That would be the sensible thing IMO.

Comment

Why don't you use the car at the weekend to do some "work" for your company, like going shopping for some printer ink or some such? Then it becomes clear cut.

Indeed I have often worked weekends and had client pay for hire car to come in, and not paid any tax on any of the costs of hire car. It was only used for work.

Indeed again when I have been working away from home I have often been driving to the clients city in a hire car on the Sunday evening, to stay there in a hotel during the week, travelling back Friday night or Saturday morning. The idea that I should pay tax for using it at the weekend in these cases is nonsense.

The challenge is only if you use it for non-work use then potentially you need to tax yourself pro rata for the days you have effectively allocated yourself a company car.

If you are going to become liable for company car tax then you can always hire a small van to drop the costs.

None of this is too hard to work out.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                Why don't you use the car at the weekend to do some "work" for your company, like going shopping for some printer ink or some such? Then it becomes clear cut.
                Maybe he doesn't want to be laughed at by HMRC?

Comment

Why not just pay for one day hire on Monday and one day hire on Friday? Why pay for four days when you don't need them. Or are you simply trying to get our approval to use a business hire car for social/domestic/pleasure at the weekend?

If it's the latter, rent the car, suck up the rental and claim the mileage back instead as though your doing it in your own car.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Maybe he doesn't want to be laughed at by HMRC?
                    And his colleagues and peers

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Why not just pay for one day hire on Monday and one day hire on Friday? Why pay for four days when you don't need them. Or are you simply trying to get our approval to use a business hire car for social/domestic/pleasure at the weekend?

If it's the latter, rent the car, suck up the rental and claim the mileage back instead as though your doing it in your own car.
                      Probably because to pick a car up when the hire car place opens on a Monday would result in him getting to work late. For most people, unless you live next to the hire car place and have a short journey, you will never get to work on time if you do it that way. Indeed if you need to taxi to the hire car place its a waste of money to keep handing the car back and cheaper to keep it.

Its also worth noting that hire car rates drop significantly the longer you book the car for. So much so that its often cheaper to just book one for a month than to have a week and a few days. Constantly handing a car back is a total waste of money.

As for being laughed at by the revenue so what, its still a legit business reason to use the car, they wont be able to do a thing.

I am very experienced at this stuff. Advice to keep handing the car back is laughable.
                      Last edited by CoolCat; 9 January 2017, 16:53.

Comment

Working...
                      X