• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ending a contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending a contract early

There are some great general threads about early termination, the gist of which seems to be that it's a judgement call based on balancing relationships, reputation, what you've got and what's on offer. With that in mind, and given that I only started contracting last year, I'd appreciate some more experienced opinions on this specific situation.

I'm on my first renewal of a 3 month contract. It pays decent market rates and isn't too stressful: I work from home, have a good relationship with the client and have been told to expect another renewal. My main issue is boredom—it's mostly maintenance/marketing work and I'm not learning or improving my skills.

Another opportunity has come up: 9 months, 50% better day rate, an easy commute and they use technologies that I'm very interested in. Honestly, it's tempting.

My current contract expires mid-February with a week's notice. The new contract would start late January. I'm considering if I can negotiate ending this contract 2–3 weeks early.

I've reached out to a couple of more experienced contractors I know for advice. They've said I should go for it, but I'd welcome some impartial perspectives. My main concerns are:
    1. Is negotiating an early finish likely to have a negative impact on my reputation or finding work in future?
    2. What would you do in my shoes?
    3. Are there any questions I should be asking, but lack the experience to consider?

--

Future readers: some of the other threads I read offering good general discussion on this topic are:
    1. Contractor vs client notice periods
    2. Would you ever leave a contract early?
    3. Leaving a contract early—moral dilemma (A specific situation, but with a few similarities to this one and useful general observations.)

You will note, as I did, that there is a broad variety of opinions, many are extremely subjective and the more even-handed responses indicate that it is fundamentally a judgement call. Yay, subjectivity!
    Last edited by Jordan; 13 January 2017, 12:21.

Best option:

Secure the other contract and ask then if you can start mid February as you want to provide a professional handover to your current client. Simply don't take the extension with current client. Get to bridges before you try and cross them.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
      There are some great general threads about early termination, the gist of which seems to be that it's a judgement call based on balancing relationships, reputation, what you've got and what's on offer. With that in mind, and given that I only started contracting last year, I'd appreciate some more experienced opinions on this specific situation.
      1. Is negotiating an early finish likely to have a negative impact on my reputation or finding work in future?
      2. What would you do in my shoes?
      3. Are there any questions I should be asking, but lack the experience to consider?
      Well the threads you read should answer Item 1. Item 2, no one knows but you and Item 3, dunno. This question is no different to the ones in all the other threads. Bit of background, personal situation and 'what would you do' so should all be useful to you.

What does opportunity mean? A gig on the boards or you've been offered it? You've no decision to make until you've interviewed and you have an offer on the table.

EDIT : Oddly enough I said almost exactly the same in your other thread last year.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post2294362
      Last edited by northernladuk; 4 January 2017, 12:39.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I am assuming 'another opportunity came up' means 'I am constantly looking for a new contract better than the one I am in'?

I have no moral qualms with this (especially being on the bench at the moment) but I do think both parties should sign a contract with the intention of completing it unless something unexpected happens such as project being cancelled.

If you want to bail early then negotiate with them for an early exit but unless there is a notice period they are quite within their rights to say no.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          I am assuming 'another opportunity came up' means 'I am constantly looking for a new contract better than the one I am in'?

I have no moral qualms with this (especially being on the bench at the moment) but I do think both parties should sign a contract with the intention of completing it unless something unexpected happens such as project being cancelled.

If you want to bail early then negotiate with them for an early exit but unless there is a notice period they are quite within their rights to say no.
          Indeed but it's a bit of a minefield, particularly to new guys like the OP. Seeing a gig something like he's doing for 50% more can then kick of a chain of difficult events that ends in nothing. Unless I'm really unhappy, which hasn't happened yet, I don't even think about looking out for new roles. The one time I looked at JS mid gig while discussion roles with a colleague one came up that looked very delicious and had me in tatters for a short period. Next day woke up, forgot about it and got on with the current gig.

If the OP is genuinely on 25% or more less than market rate or is really unhappy (and I mean really, not being a snowflake) then fair enough but at least know what the fall out will be and what to do next. Taking a stab at a role that is 50% more and then have to ask what to do I don't think is the way to do it. That's a mercenary without a clue.

Each to their own I guess.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've only terminated a contract early a couple of times because they were quite simply the wrong contract for me and I wanted out. I would normally see out any agreed initial term and simply not renew.

To ditto some of the comments above: get the new gig first then negotiate a start date. If there's no budging on the start date, then negotiate an early exit. You say you have a weeks' notice so that could work out well enough.

There's always something to learn in any contract; sometimes the lesson is just a little less obvious... And, of course, you're not supposed to be learning on the job - you're being hired because you know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I've only terminated a contract early a couple of times because they were quite simply the wrong contract for me and I wanted out. I would normally see out any agreed initial term and simply not renew.
              Me too, came close a couple of times on renewals, but never left a contract until they no longer needed me.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Me too, came close a couple of times on renewals, but never left a contract until they no longer needed me.
                How is that a me too? Your post implies that you have always stayed put until no more renewals were forthcoming, which is pretty much the opposite of what I said.

Comment

Its a difficult one - Im in same situation at the moment.

Due to family illness its becoming very difficult to keep doing my current gig - but no notice and it runs until end Feb. Out of the blue I got offered a local gig which would solve all my problems to be honest.

So I've had a conversation with current client about letting me go early and explained why. I've been here over two years and was hoping they'd cut me a bit of slack. But nothing forthcoming yet.

If I dont leave the new gig wont wait that long and I'll lose it. Then come end Feb I probably wont renew anyway and will be on my arse.

Tough one. They say no - what to do then.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

If everything falls right, what's to stop you doing both at the same time for a couple of (busy) weeks? Answering some emails from gig#1 during the downtime/breaks in #2 then putting in the meat of the work for #1 when you get home?

Comment

Working...
                    X