• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting in IT

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stranger12 View Post
    28 days

Salary between 72-80k. Full time yes in networking

Sick pay for up to 20 days or so

Pension private healthcare ....

Still if you end up with 4k and in contracting wih 7 -8 k no brainer for me
    Listen. You've made your mind up and you are just getting tedious now. You've ignore all the other pros and cons and it's always about the money. You know what you want to do and why, you are going to ignore everything we say so why are you bothering replying?

BTW you 7-8 K is wrong. There is business income and then your income. One might get that. The other doesn't.... But you won't be told so fill your boots.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Bonuses -With contracting you get a bonus everyday. With permiedom you have to work extra hard for it and it can get pulled for reasons outside of your control.

Picking a contract market is tricky. If you go cutting edge you really have to be at the top of your game. But you can be cross industry so there are more jobs. If you go domain specific and possibly even platform specific, you have less competition and higher rates but there are fewer jobs and you will generally deskill. There is possibly some middle ground where you do niche stuff but get to maintain a generic skillset that you can deploy if you need to- this is my game, but as time goes by I'm getting more niche and being a bit lazy on maintaining the generic stuff- but I'm 10+ years into contracting so it doesn't matter so much as for youngsters.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    @OP. You come across as a bit lazy with your spelling and grammar. Just because this is a forum, it doesn't preclude some attempt?

Gladiators never flinch at the first blow that draws blood. This is the First Rule in the Circus Maximus.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    28 days

So, 28 days paid holiday. 0 days paid holiday as a contractor. You don't work, you don't get paid.
    Pension? You don't have an employer to pay into one of those when you're contracting.
    Private healthcare? You don't have an employer to pay into one of those when you're contracting.
    Needing to have built up funds to cover you while you look for a contract (a warchest)? Not really something a permanent employee worries about.

What don't you like about your current job?
    Are you happy to travel to get work?
    Do you have family/SO/children/pets?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Go for it then.

Leave a comment:

• stranger12
    replied
    28 days

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    yes flagged it to read tonight.

I have over 7 years of experience so classed it as IT to keep it high level

It will be tough to get contracting jobs straight out of the university

Yes, it would be tough to get a contracting job straight out of university.
    Are your 7 years of "experience" actual paid full-time jobs working in IT?

In your current job how many days holiday do you get a year? What about sick pay? Is their a redundancy package?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    So back to the post I made at the start:
    Are you from London (or currently living there)?
    What area of IT do you work in?

(There are questions around the money side of things, but they can wait)

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    The reason for my post is to make the right choice.

When you typing in forum, you don't proof read it and make it sound professional and perfect .

as long as I can get the message across to people then it is sufficient.

some people attitude stinks, why would you post if all you say is negative and useless.
    No, it's not just what you say, it's also how you say it. That's life and you better learn how to communicate. If you write tickets in Jira the way you write posts on CUK, you are not going to make "more money and income".

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    More money and income
    You're hired!

Back in the real world, you have next to no chance bud.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X