• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many years as a Permie before you took the leap into contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 years perm / 2 years contracting so far

it took Mark Zuckerberg 2 weeks to write thefacebook v1 (age 19), experience is for disgruntled old people who are grumpy at "kids these days"

Comment

10 years perm (2 redundancies, 2 start ups, 1 huge mistake), 7 months contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post

it took Mark Zuckerberg 2 weeks to write thefacebook v1 (age 19), experience is for disgruntled old people who are grumpy at "kids these days"
        You mean exactly the same kids that are always asking me the answers you mean .

Sorry that is total BS, especially in certain technologies.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Yeah, give me someone with an attitude an no experience. Wait, what?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

also, experience is indirectly proportional to sense of humour and grasp of sarcasm, as shown above

Comment

also, experience is indirectly proportional to sense of humour and grasp of sarcasm, as shown above
              I think you mean inversely proprtional
              "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
              Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...onhirev2.shtml
                "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

6 perm, almost 3x that contracting.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                    Just as well he had a more experienced person to catch that, I'm sure he will grateful to you for it
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I worked 4 years as a permie (in the UK) when I realised that contractors are earning a minimum of £275 (about 10-12 years ago) per day. I am/was an immigrant in this country, so waited for the right time to quit but yet be able to operate on my own with necessary legal requirements.

Quit the job, started working as a contractor, with family in Norfolk, client in Bristol, had to go through weekly journey of about 3-4 hours every week one way (you have to go through liverpool station london...i think). Then moved to Midlands after a year.

Within few months, I lost the job (imagine seeing the role in job sites from the client with exact specs you are doing), couldn't do anything but to sell my house in Norfolk, had about £25K as profit.

Because I was focusing only on one tool, my opportunities became limited and ultimately I had to leave UK as I was not eligible for any support (even if there were, its hard to declare yourself as a failure). Before I went, I acquired British Citizenship in a hurry (until then I had no intention of doing it, but to increase the chances of job I had to do it) and went back to my so called home country.

Kids had a horrible time, as they spoke only english. They went through a tough time of learning local language. I decided that I had to change my line of work. Called up few known local friends, but they said I had to be an experienced Account Manager or Super manager and can't apply for normal roles due to my age (I was focusing on technical side and there was no concept of contractor or SME).

After several tries (and accumulating debts), went to a job fair got a job (salaried @£250 per month..duly declared to HMRC who said I don't have declare or file annual returns due to low income). When I decided to come back to UK, the only friend agreed to provide me accommodation (just for me) at a rate that he said would be disclosed at a later stage when I got a job (he charged me, but in my culture we don't consider money aspects when dealing with friends and relatives...its a big no no).

For 3 months, I applied and got nothing. I was on the verge of doing anything, finally a client in CPH offered me one.

Now I am back in UK dictating my rates.

Here are the lessons learned

1. Have the right skills. Watch the market and improve it, keep updating it.
                      2. Expect anything at any time. Anything can happen at anytime.
                      3. Grow your war chest all the time.
                      4. Have few friends to help you at the right time.
                      5. Set backs cannot stop you.

Hope this helps. The point here is, can you survive the changes with the right mind set (and hopefully an understanding family). Bring it on!
                      Last edited by itjobs; 8 October 2016, 21:21.

Comment

Working...
                      X