• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Length of Commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Length of Commute

I'm considering the possibility of a role approximately 100 miles from my home and have been looking into commuting options.

It would be 2 hours each way - 35 minutes to railway estation, 1 hr 10 mins on train and 15 minutes of walking the other end.

I think I could do this but I do not know if this would be possible to support this over a long period of time as I have home responsibilities to attend to as well and since there would be no time during the week, the weekends would be taken up doing these things instead of leisure.

It is not economical to stay in a hotel Monday to Friday instead. This is an expensive town.
    I also can't perhaps just stay there one or 2 nights a week because I would have to have a season train ticket so adding hotels on top of the cost of that would not be economical. (to buy a return ticket on the day is £120. A season ticket for the week is £185. It is mad!)

Does anyone here support a long commute over a long period? Did you find it tiring?

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Does anyone here support a long commute over a long period? Did you find it tiring?
    Yes and Yes, especially as I liked to get in by 8AM to leave early.
    For 3.5 years I spent 1 hour 40 each way door to door.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm considering the possibility of a role approximately 100 miles from my home and have been looking into commuting options.

It would be 2 hours each way - 35 minutes to railway estation, 1 hr 10 mins on train and 15 minutes of walking the other end.

I think I could do this but I do not know if this would be possible to support this over a long period of time as I have home responsibilities to attend to as well and since there would be no time during the week, the weekends would be taken up doing these things instead of leisure.

It is not economical to stay in a hotel Monday to Friday instead. This is an expensive town.
      I also can't perhaps just stay there one or 2 nights a week because I would have to have a season train ticket so adding hotels on top of the cost of that would not be economical. (to buy a return ticket on the day is £120. A season ticket for the week is £185. It is mad!)

I once did a 130 mile each way daily drive and it was a killer. That was 16 years ago when a) I was lot younger and b) there was a lot less traffic on the roads. Those may be the times on paper but in reality you'll find it takes longer.

If you're going to work away my philosophy is go where the rates are the highest and stay away mid-week. Make it worth your while. Or better still work close to home if possible.

Comment

Assuming the trains are running on time, which down south at the moment (and you have not said where you are located) are notoriously not. So this is best case timings for you. Is there nothing nearer to you ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Assuming the trains are running on time, which down south at the moment (and you have not said where you are located) are notoriously not. So this is best case timings for you. Is there nothing nearer to you ?
          No. Bristol market is dead at the moment.

Comment

If you're on the train it won't be as bad, assuming that you can get a seat both ways.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
              I once did a 130 mile each way daily drive and it was a killer. That was 16 years ago when a) I was lot younger and b) there was a lot less traffic on the roads. Those may be the times on paper but in reality you'll find it takes longer.

If you're going to work away my philosophy is go where the rates are the highest and stay away mid-week. Make it worth your while. Or better still work close to home if possible.
              So about 2 hours if you were one a motorway commute?

I don't know what's worse - driving this distance or being on a crowded train

Comment

Driving is crap, trust me. I live in Manchester, work in London. Getting down early on Monday is fine (apart from it being early on Monday!) but driving home on a Friday is garbage. That said, I've found some lovely country lanes in Staffordshire, Shropshire and Cheshire!
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Well, I would say give me the train anyday but the cost of taking the train is so much these days it's becoming unsustainable. I booked some tickets today (Leeds (or nearby) to London) and here goes (peak time):

'North' to London KX' - peak time, one way, 1st class (usually around £ 30 more than standard but you get better seating and breakfast included, and less riff raff, so it's easily worth it!)

Cost - £ 163.50

Now as comparison, I also booked a flight from London Gatwick to Malaga with British Airways. Fair enough it's standard class but it's a lot lot further. Friday after work, which I'd say is peak time for that kind of journey on that day.

Cost - £ 81.00

Can somebody please tell me how a premium airline can fly me from London to Malaga for less than half the price of a 2 hour journey from Leeds to London?

btw, if I took the car it would be £ 50 fuel for the return journey.

Comment

Are you sure there isn't a cheaper option, such as B&B, airbnb, finding somewhere a short commute from the town itself, etc?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X