• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Length of Commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Agree, as the trust is already there and if they want you then you've got a stronger hand to play, am just wondering if I can push for 3 days a week from home come renewal time
    You're bottling it..... go for 4

My pal who got me back at Client Co usually turns in one day purely to show he's alive and still invoicing.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Tell you client what you told us. This is exactly what I've done in the past. Which they've said in return, Ohh right, just come down for 2-days a week. That's crazy amount of travelling.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Tell you client what you told us. This is exactly what I've done in the past. Which they've said in return, Ohh right, just come down for 2-days a week. That's crazy amount of travelling.
        Exactly.

Can be a carrot if you tell them you can be far more flexible, also.
        There's no point attending each and every day if you are going to be cream crackered, the client will get less value.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Exactly.

Can be a carrot if you tell them you can be far more flexible, also.
          There's no point attending each and every day if you are going to be cream crackered, the client will get less value.
          I would agree, discuss it on a human level with the client. Don't, however, make your problem their problem... that will only put you down in their view.

For the past 10 years I have travelled for 90 minutes each way on average. On some days the trains were delayed/cancelled or the motorway was a wreck and so the journey has taken 3 hours one way, on quite a few occasions. Yes of course it is very tiring, but we do this for a reason and each person will have his own reasons.

For the past 4 years, I have worked at home ~2 days a week and this has made a world of difference. It takes time to build the trust for this, and perhaps a well-worded contract too

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            You're bottling it..... go for 4

My pal who got me back at Client Co usually turns in one day purely to show he's alive and still invoicing.
            TBH 3 days a week would be the max for me, nice to go in the office a couple of days a week for sprint planning/retros/lunch etc (can be done remotely but never as effective IMO), also good to get out of the house, i did a 100% remote working contract once, went stir crazy and turned down the extension after the initial 3 months!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              I would agree, discuss it on a human level with the client. Don't, however, make your problem their problem... that will only put you down in their view.

For the past 10 years I have travelled for 90 minutes each way on average. On some days the trains were delayed/cancelled or the motorway was a wreck and so the journey has taken 3 hours one way, on quite a few occasions. Yes of course it is very tiring, but we do this for a reason and each person will have his own reasons.

For the past 4 years, I have worked at home ~2 days a week and this has made a world of difference. It takes time to build the trust for this, and perhaps a well-worded contract too
              Sounds a nightmare journey, glad you got it sorted.

Its funny, I have been clearly told you can work where you want and do the hours I want as long as they add up to a week.
              Other contractors in the same organisation, different department, have trouble working from home as the MD "doesn't like it".

You don't get, if you don't discuss / ask, but even then you never know what the answer may be.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                Yep, worked there myself. Moving to Canary Wharf will probably drive the demand back up.
                Well, quite ludicrous having yourself spread all over the city
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Personally, anything over 100 miles in the car is a stop over, this can be less if there is consistent heavy traffic. Train, no more than two hours and no changes. Try to use the train / public transport were possible. Also like to bike if it's less than 3 miles or so from the train station to the client site.

Stopover is apart/hotels with a cooker, fridge and no restaurants. They usually will do parking if you drive, also corporate rates.
                  As you say, it can very much depend upon the 100 miles. Not sure I'd fancy driving from north Manchester to Birmingham every day. They're be dead people all over the M6 as I finally crack and go on a Falling Down style rampage.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

This is the exact reason why I left said place. I ended up being told to work in a midlands location 100 miles from home 100%, when all the client staff were in London. Stupid ...
                    Very stupid.

Its funny as I know other contractors there that usually only do one day a week in London
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Without diving into the detail it was quite unbelievable.
                      Nothing surprises me with contracting any more. Decisions baffle me at times but no longer surprise me.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X