• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Length of Commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Are you sure there isn't a cheaper option, such as B&B, airbnb, finding somewhere a short commute from the town itself, etc?
    London isn't great for short stay overnights unless you're prepared to go with the pay upfront option and expose over £600 worth of future hotel bookings to the risk of losing the contract. Either that or take your chances with lower end stuff, but you're looking at who knows what. The Travelodge £30 deals simply don't exist in London.

Car parking is another consideration - £30 per week in London at best and that's if you park at one of the outlying car parks at the end of a tube line (to help escaping London at the end of the week).
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I've just spent the last 7 months commuting into London via drive -train -tube/walk which takes around 2hrs one way. It wasn't too bad the 6am start in the summer months but I couldn't do it in winter as I'd never see daylight during the week.

I too have responsibilities during the week and a young family and it does put a strain on your relationship with the other half and you end up doing family stuff on the weekends with no time for anything else.

On the plus side the money was good which is all most of us care about anyways

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
        I'll bet it's not for the reasons you mentioned in the previous paragraph. I contract so I don't have to kill myself for the top money gigs. I'd rather take a bit of a cut and have a decent life. Not like one lower gig puts us on the breadline.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I'll bet it's not for the reasons you mentioned in the previous paragraph. I contract so I don't have to kill myself for the top money gigs. I'd rather take a bit of a cut and have a decent life. Not like one lower gig puts us on the breadline.
          In these times, sometimes the top money ones are the ones to be aware of.
          I know for a fact IBs run reports on who earns more than X per day, these big earners are usually the 1st ones to be given the heave ho.

I was recently let down for one £100 PD more than the decent rate I am on now.

A high rate is only worth it, especially in IB, if it goes pretty full term.

Especially as the sector has bad rep for finishing contracts early, cutting of rates, time to be security cleared, furloughs etc.
          Funnily enough I have always managed to dodge all of these in the past and have worked for 4 IBs, one more than once.

The guys that were trying to engage me were worried for their own, perm, jobs.
          Seeing that same IB now has a mega fine hanging over their head, I believe I may have dodged a bullet on this particular occasion.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
            I'm considering the possibility of a role approximately 100 miles from my home and have been looking into commuting options.

It would be 2 hours each way - 35 minutes to railway estation, 1 hr 10 mins on train and 15 minutes of walking the other end.

I think I could do this but I do not know if this would be possible to support this over a long period of time as I have home responsibilities to attend to as well and since there would be no time during the week, the weekends would be taken up doing these things instead of leisure.

It is not economical to stay in a hotel Monday to Friday instead. This is an expensive town.
            I also can't perhaps just stay there one or 2 nights a week because I would have to have a season train ticket so adding hotels on top of the cost of that would not be economical. (to buy a return ticket on the day is £120. A season ticket for the week is £185. It is mad!)

Does anyone here support a long commute over a long period? Did you find it tiring?
            I did 8 months of a 2-2.5hr commute each way, I chose to drive and it was very knackering, the train would be easier however depending on the route getting seat could be just as nightmarish
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'm back in London for a previous client who approached me to return, its 2 hours door to door each way so I mandated that the only way I would return is if 2 days WFH was on the cards, it was

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                I'm back in London for a previous client who approached me to return, its 2 hours door to door each way so I mandated that the only way I would return is if 2 days WFH was on the cards, it was
                Yeh, usually more chance when you are on another "tour of duty".

I have always been told I can work wherever I want by the client I have gone back to now.
                Less of an issue for me, as it is 45 minutes door to door.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
                  I've just spent the last 7 months commuting into London via drive -train -tube/walk which takes around 2hrs one way. It wasn't too bad the 6am start in the summer months but I couldn't do it in winter as I'd never see daylight during the week.

I too have responsibilities during the week and a young family and it does put a strain on your relationship with the other half and you end up doing family stuff on the weekends with no time for anything else.

Don't have the family but I have somebody who needs the entertaining at the weekend and the round the house jobs, the shopping and things that I have to do which doesn't leave much time to relax.

I'm planning on doing this for another more 5-10 years so rate is important (and I'm not on London rate - good rate for me maybe half what some on here earn).

some years past I had worked in online gaming contract on the isle of Alderney for 6 months over the winter. The rate was £100 pd less than I work for now but the hotel accommodation was included and return flights included also .

It was a very enjoyable time for me and I wish I had the luxury of the position to be able to say yes to these roles now instead of only thinking about the money.

Comment

Can be done ...

I did 4.5 years commute but only an 1h15 each way, so less than what you're proposing.

It can be done but you'll need some ideal conditions.

- Get into a routine, ie you're on the same train out and same train back. Therefore you can reserve seats both ways.
                    - Have a client who will allow you to leave on time (or finish early) and allow you to work while on the train on the way home.
                    - see if you can work at least a day a week from home.

Some here have suggested driving/staying over. Depending on how you want to save, you can get some budget accommodation such as hostels, though not sure how they're staying week-in week-out. I use to do occasional when there was a drinks night out stay in a hostel, £20 in Waterloo, very clean. I've stayed in YHA's too in Central London. Try AirBnb. IN terms of parking justpark.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Yeh, usually more chance when you are on another "tour of duty".

I have always been told I can work wherever I want by the client I have gone back to now.
                      Less of an issue for me, as it is 45 minutes door to door.

Agree, as the trust is already there and if they want you then you've got a stronger hand to play, am just wondering if I can push for 3 days a week from home come renewal time

Comment

Working...
                      X