• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any advice for government contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Should be OK if he can pronounce funny names.
    Not if they require clearing
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      He (or she) wants to build and develop a high-performing team.

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Poor bugger Seriously, though, without wishing to frighten you too much, read those threads linked by eek. The PS is about to become a desert (and not the tasty sort that's served with cream).

In terms of your specific question, I'm not sure why this would be a concern. You are different. You're a contractor, there to deliver, not to make friends with the permies. In my experience, "them and us" is usually symptomatic of something else, such as being crap. If you're good, I can't see it arising and, if it does, enjoy your "them" status and all associated perks.
        No, that would have needed an extra 's'

Comment

Originally posted by The Only Way Is Keynsham View Post
          No, that would have needed an extra 's'
          Literalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Family photo on the auspicious occasion of Danny Alexander returning to the Treasury.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercutio View Post
              Hello All -

I'm a complete newbie to the world of contracting, but have recently landed my first contract to work as a project engineer via an agency and with the UK government as my client.

I shall be based near Bristol.

Does anyone have any experience of running projects on behalf of HM's Government? I am slightly concerned that the "us and them" culture of contractors vs permies may be an impediment to building and developing a high performing team? Or is it water off a ducks back to the Civil Service - it does rather seem that they routinely out-source to contractors for one-off projects?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Many Thanks!
              High-performing? What the hell? Are you fresh off a course and think you can be a contractor now?

Joking aside, eek's links will prove invaluable, especially if you weren't aware of the April 2017 changes. I must admit, if I ever get approached for a PS gig, it'll have to be on a "plus expenses" basis, the way that Capita and others get to operate.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Unless you are on the very top rate of CLone's rates you would be better going in as a permie rather than an umbrella. When you look at the pension benefits alone there is little reason to accept anything else
                What is a decent rate in the public sector, out of curiosity?

Surely anything over 400/d would be worth while, given how poor the perm salaries are. Pension benefits aren't as amazing as people think (i.e 10-15% contribution).

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                  What is a decent rate in the public sector, out of curiosity?

Surely anything over 400/d would be worth while, given how poor the perm salaries are. Pension benefits aren't as amazing as people think (i.e 10-15% contribution).
                  Not after April, if you fall into the IR35 caught bucket.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Not after April, if you fall into the IR35 caught bucket.
                    Any calculations to back up this?

A 400/d contract role I'd guess is the equivalent of a 50k perm job.

Perm role would net £3k per month. Plus the pension which would be worth £600pm.

A contract role @ 400/d, caught inside would net around £4800pm. Even with the new rules you can still contribute towards a SIPP.

Thats a big difference and ultimately you still get paid much more than a perm.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                      Any calculations to back up this?

A 400/d contract role I'd guess is the equivalent of a 50k perm job.

Perm role would net £3k per month. Plus the pension which would be worth £600pm.

A contract role @ 400/d, caught inside would net around £4800pm. Even with the new rules you can still contribute towards a SIPP.

Thats a big difference and ultimately you still get paid much more than a perm.
                      Holidays, sickness, training, promotion, job security, perm benefits like gym, car etc... how much are these worth.

Comment

Working...
                      X