• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eastern European consultants not good enough for the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
    I suggest you should report the hiring manager, as this is illegal and completely unacceptable.
    Under which part of the Equality Act is it illegal?

I could go for stupid (as you may be losing a good candidate or 2) but would love to see how you think its illegal or even completely unacceptable - its possible (well I know) the opposite is true elsewhere.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Under which part of the Equality Act is it illegal?

I could go for stupid (as you may be losing a good candidate or 2) but would love to see how you think its illegal or even completely unacceptable - its possible (well I know) the opposite is true elsewhere.
      Article 45 of the present Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union

(and related EU directives to implement as national law)

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        If it's a very small company with a direct hiring manager then that may be the case.

If it's a consultancy then they may have sold their clients uk nationals.

If it's a large client then there is no way a xenophobic attitude would be tolerated fme and there must be another reason.
        Apparently, the alleged reason is in the post #5.

Comment

Originally posted by logozz View Post
          Article 45 of the present Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union

(and related EU directives to implement as national law)
          How? that only allows you to work here, that doesn't force anyone to employ you....

So I will repeat my earlier question in what way is someone not employing a person from Eastern Europe illegal....

Comment

Allow me to explain (what should be obvious)

How? that only allows you to work here, that doesn't force anyone to employ you....

So I will repeat my earlier question in what way is someone not employing a person from Eastern Europe illegal....
            There are a few things you misunderstand here: No one suggested anyone is forced to employ anyone (not sure how that got into your head). Key here is that it is not permitted NOT to employ someone BASED on what EUROPEAN country they are from.

To clarify: An employer can decide to employ or not to employ whoever they want. However, the decision cannot solely be based on the grounds of EU-nationality. With blanket statements of the sort the person made about Eastern Europeans, he would fail to make apparent to a court that not employing an Eastern European wasn't based on such ground.

Capish?!

Comment

Originally posted by logozz View Post
              There are a few things you misunderstand here: No one suggested anyone is forced to employ anyone (not sure how that got into your head). Key here is that it is not permitted NOT to employ someone BASED on what EUROPEAN country they are from.

To clarify: An employer can decide to employ or not to employ whoever they want. However, the decision cannot solely be based on the grounds of EU-nationality. With blanket statements of the sort the person made about Eastern Europeans, he would fail to make apparent to a court that not employing an Eastern European wasn't based on such ground.

Capish?!
              But the person isn't refusing to employ him based on his country but his lack of experience in the UK?

If you don't like it move to Holland and try to get a job there where will use your lack of Dutch against you....
              Last edited by eek; 5 September 2016, 18:09.

Comment

But the person isn't refusing to employ him based on his country but his lack of experience in the UK?

If you don't like it move to Holland and try to get a job there where will use your lack of Dutch against you....
                And French ones on JS that state 'French Nationals only'.

Germans are best - I saw one that said 'Attractive Secretary Required'

Comment

Yeah, I think people are missing the wider point there. When I started contracting up in Scotland, applying for Jobs in London was a crapshoot as it was clear from my CV that I'd never really worked away. This concerned clients, including the one which I came down here for. Were they racist or just resonably worried that I wouldn't stick around?

Comment

Exactly. I'm guessing some of the posters here do not understand the realities of the European job market.

Also the same where people won't look at you for an IB role, without an introduction, for example. Skills do not matter in some scenarios, it's as simple as that.

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    And French ones on JS that state 'French Nationals only'.

Germans are best - I saw one that said 'Attractive Secretary Required'
                    I have been told about some in Europe, where they have pretty much stated; don't bother applying if you are British resident.
                    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 6 September 2016, 06:56.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      British contractors are not special just because they have native proficiency in English.

Bear in mind that in Europe what is important it's the level of professional proficiency in English depending on the role, in addition, sometimes it's not easy to understand the British because of the strong accent of certain areas of the country and an enough reason for not be accepted for the role.
                      Thank you Bee that it is a really helpful comment
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X