• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FYI: Manchester Client insisting on IR35 caught contract terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matzie View Post
    I had an offer from a private sector client with a strong ethical reputation in Manchester.
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Is it Co-op, near Victoria then?
    Can't be.

Comment

TfL tried this one on with me a few years ago. I quoted my IR35 rate, which they naturally refused so I gave them 3 options :

1) Change the contract
      2) Pay the higher rate
      3) Go back to market

They went back to market in the end, but yes I was "the only contractor" to have queried this in 5 billionty placements
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        TfL tried this one on with me a few years ago. I provided my references, which they naturally refused so I gave them 3 options :

1) Change the contract
        2) Pay the higher rate
        3) Go back to market

They went back to market in the end, but yes I was "the only contractor" to have queried this in 5 billionty placements
        FTFY

Too many BoS contractors about. They'll be in for a nice surprise in 10 months.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          FTFY

Too many BoS contractors about. They'll be in for a nice surprise in 10 months.
          BoS?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            BoS?
            Bum on Seat - permietractors who blindly sign contracts, aren't aware/bothered about IR35 other than asking the agent if the contract's IR35 friendly and accepting the answer, don't know about the new T&S stuff.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Bum on Seat - permietractors who blindly sign contracts, aren't aware/bothered about IR35 other than asking the agent if the contract's IR35 friendly and accepting the answer, don't know about the new T&S stuff.
              Like this you mean?

Comment

I think you're rather redefining BoS - BoS is any serial single client contractor who generally works full time for a client for a period of months or longer. BoS != IR35 caught (although of course a subset will be)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  I think you're rather redefining BoS - BoS is any serial single client contractor who generally works full time for a client for a period of months or longer. BoS != IR35 caught (although of course a subset will be)
                  Hmm. Seemed to be what I believed a BoS contractor was. Maybe I was confusing a permatractor so will be mindful of that if I talk about BoS again.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    In certain circumstances, BoS may stand for Bag of Sh***. In that case, it's more like the permitractor described earlier in the thread.

But I'm happy to be a BoS / SSCC and will continue to do so for many years to come, I hope.

Comment

If it's an easy commute, you could have just asked for an extra £50 a day due to your LtdCo's rate card for working under IR35 caught contracts.
                      £50 a day seems incredibly low when you factor in the additional costs of being inside IR35 (unless you can afford to whack all the money into the pension plan).

For IR35 caught contracts, my starting price is about 30% more. If there is travel involved, then it's 50% more than the outside rate.

Comment

Working...
                      X