• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Security/Credit Check - IR35 Risk?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Security/Credit Check - IR35 Risk?

Hi, been lurking on the site for a while.

The client I'm currently working with are asking for everyone working on a specific project to undergo a security/credit check (not SC) and have sent the forms to both permies and contractors to complete. If I let the company run the check on me does this put me at risk of assessed as being within IR35? My contract has been reviewed and is outside of IR35. Should my Ltd. company be running the checks rather than the client?

I have tried the search but couldn't find an answer buried in with all the SC questions.

Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers

No, it's fine. Banks run like this but with more wider reaching checks. It's you personally that has access to sensitive information, not your company secretary or other employees. If you want to activate the right of substitution, you would have to have your substitute undergo these tests too.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You really need to get a better understanding of IR35 and your relationship with clients. Understand these and this type of situation (and may others) will become clear.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You really need to get a better understanding of IR35 and your relationship with clients. Understand these and this type of situation (and may others) will become clear.
        Correct.

This is no different to H&S - it's about your ability to be on site, not your working practices.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Correct.

This is no different to H&S - it's about your ability to be on site, not your working practices.
          Really? And exactly how does the results of a credit check against your Ltd. affect your ability to be onsite?

Health & safety, I can understand, but not a credit check.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            Really? And exactly how does the results of a credit check against your Ltd. affect your ability to be onsite?

If you read the OP properly, you'll see that it's a credit check against individuals....

Comment

Part of financial regulation is individuals need to be checked.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Load gun, point at foot, pull trigger.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  If you read the OP properly, you'll see that it's a credit check against individuals....
                  Um.. Ok... My bad...

Still, even if the credit check is against the individual, I don't see how that makes a difference. Do you owe the client loads of money that you're likely to default on?

I'd agree to the credit check against me, so long as I could run credit checks against each and every member of the board of directors of the client co. What's good for the goose etc. If they refuse, I'd tell them to jog on.

Comment

Um.. Ok... My bad...

Still, even if the credit check is against the individual, I don't see how that makes a difference. Do you owe the client loads of money that you're likely to default on?

I'd agree to the credit check against me, so long as I could run credit checks against each and every member of the board of directors of the client co. What's good for the goose etc. If they refuse, I'd tell them to jog on.
                    It's because you'll have access to their financial systems.

Or are you too young to remember Superman III?

Comment

Working...
                    X