• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting at Barclays- what checks do they carry out before you start work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One key check is what libor fixing experience do you have ?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      Despite the doom merchants here, in 12 years contracting, the 2 contracts I've had at Barclays in London have been probably the best I've had - most interesting projects and great people to work with.
      Funny, I had 2 bad, none rate cut related, experiences with them too, I just didn't mention it. Plenty of other "doom mongers" on here as well, maybe you just got lucky.
      Usual story, I guess, some teams and projects worse than others.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

From my experience, the work was fine, so was the team.

The rate cut and then being binned off two months into a six month extension due to politics higher up was crap. Then the second opportunity that I'm still waiting to start (not really, I gave it up long ago) was very disappointing.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

DId you never think of saying no to the rate cuts at Barclays? Plenty of people did and they stayed and they were only decent rates.

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          Despite the doom merchants here, in 12 years contracting, the 2 contracts I've had at Barclays in London have been probably the best I've had - most interesting projects and great people to work with. Downside was 2 x 10% cuts but it didn't matter as I was having such a great time.

As others have outlined, there are certain standard compliance checks that need to be undertaken and they seem pretty intrusive but give it a couple of hours of your time and for your part they are out of the way.

I'd go back tomorrow if the role was as interesting as the previous two.

Comment

I don't think anyone is being a doom merchant on this thread. Everyone is just pointing out the reality of the situation. Hell we get enough people coming on here crying about cuts they didn't see coming so making sure people are aware of what is pretty much going to happen isn't really being a doom merchant.

A few people say they got cuts and were happy to say which is fair enough, I did exactly the same but I'll bet they were very unhappy at the time, I was.

Forewarned is forearmed. If you think that is being a doom merchant then fair enough.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I don't think anyone is being a doom merchant on this thread. Everyone is just pointing out the reality of the situation. Hell we get enough people coming on here crying about cuts they didn't see coming so making sure people are aware of what is pretty much going to happen isn't really being a doom merchant.

A few people say they got cuts and were happy to say which is fair enough, I did exactly the same but I'll bet they were very unhappy at the time, I was.

Forewarned is forearmed. If you think that is being a doom merchant then fair enough.
              I should state I have never had a rate cut at an IB.

My issues were different, one similar to LMs and I would tread very carefully. They have a habit of interviewing prior to budget sign off, which does not always end well.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

So it seems this isn't worth considering due to the negative view of Barclays

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
                  So it seems this isn't worth considering due to the negative view of Barclays
                  Not at all. Just go in with your eyes wide open, as I previously said.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If it's Barclays at Radbroke Hall I'd be more worried about the parking......

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      If it's Barclays at Radbroke Hall I'd be more worried about the parking, if you are not the keeping fit sort......
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X