• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

Outside of Banking, some of these guys are now armed with big budgets for inside roles. Make sure you validate that before you close the call without talking.

University of Cambridge
    Contracting tripos, Part 1A

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...in-the-uk.html

You could just talk to a pigeon instead, be just as productive

Comment

Got the paperwork for a new contract on it's way, which is about the third time in four years I have been out of contract on the run up to Christmas and the market to be dead for it to be resolved in January.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

You could just talk to a pigeon instead, be just as productive
        I have contributed companies myself to that thread but in 2023 there is nothing wrong with asking a few questions before you hang up the phone.

Market looks very weak right now, you are doing well to find a good role in this market.

Comment

Nothing is simple...

The contract I was offered over new year is nearly signed but not quite yet... (inside £600 per day - fully remote - challenging interesting work)

Meanwhile I interviewed on Friday for an easy, boring contract which I was offered today... (outside - 1 day week onsite - £475 - boring easy work)

So two offers on the table.

I think the inside offer is the best one but its a ball-ache to get the legals finalised for various reasons - should finally tie up the last bits by lunchtime Tuesday. Meanwhile had to tell the other gig I was just finishing off the legals on another offer. Agent was gutted but I said if you give me 24 hours If I don't agree the legals on this one I will go for his offer - he said the client will probably be fine with that as they want me (If its not sorted by tomoz I am wondering if it ever will be) ...

So given agent 1 the hurry up - if he doesn't finally get everything sorted tomoz I am going with offer 2...

Nice problems to have I suppose...
          Last edited by dx4100; 30 January 2023, 21:51.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Got the paperwork for a new contract on it's way, which is about the third time in four years I have been out of contract on the run up to Christmas and the market to be dead for it to be resolved in January.
            Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
            Nothing is simple...

The contract I was offered over new year is nearly signed but not quite yet... (inside £600 per day - fully remote - challenging interesting work)

Meanwhile I interviewed on Friday for an easy, boring contract which I was offered today... (outside - 1 day week onsite - £475 - boring easy work)

So two offers on the table.

I think the inside offer is the best one but its a ball-ache to get the legals finalised for various reasons - should finally tie up the last bits by lunchtime Tuesday. Meanwhile had to tell the other gig I was just finishing off the legals on another offer. Agent was gutted but I said if you give me 24 hours If I don't agree the legals on this one I will go for his offer - he said the client will probably be fine with that as they want me (If its not sorted by tomoz I am wondering if it ever will be) ...

So given agent 1 the hurry up - if he doesn't finally get everything sorted tomoz I am going with offer 2...

Nice problems to have I suppose...
            May be a bit premature but congratulations.

I haven't even had a single interview in 4+ months so you're doing well. Hope it all gets wrapped up successfully.

Comment

Whats your skillset if you don't mind me asking ?

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                Whats your skillset if you don't mind me asking ?
                Primarily front end dev (various js frameworks) but bigging up my .net experience so far has had little success other than angling calls from Opus/Rocsearch/Nigel Frank et al

Comment

I have had three calls today for new roles that have opened up at the banks.

Comment

Finished previous contract tail end of last year, It's been quiet but just about got the next out the door with a look to start late this week / early next

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
                      Finished previous contract tail end of last year, It's been quiet but just about got the next out the door with a look to start late this week / early next
                      market looks shocking right now but please post updates in this thread

Comment

Working...
                      X