• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming up to a month out (and even longer looking) - lots of initial agent interest but clients not biting. Feeling a bit nervous

On the plus side - not having a commute to do each day or having to meet with arsey people has helped my mental health a bit
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      There was apparently a downturn in 2012 which I managed to sit out with a fairly longterm contract. You make your own luck though!
      2012 was when I first tried to become a contractor, the market was *atrocious*, there was literally nothing, not a single role anywhere. Any time I spoke to recruiters they were rude and just hung up the phone the second they realised I wasn't going to give them leads or wasn't fit for a role. I guess they were really desperate. Ended up going to a permie job after ~3 months of looking without even a sniff of a job. Worked out well as the job was sole developer for a startup, so I learned a metric ****ton due to having to do everything. Then 2 years later I was a far better dev and the market had recovered.

I remember rates around 2012 were £210-£270/day for my work compared to £380-425 now

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        Coming up to a month out (and even longer looking) - lots of initial agent interest but clients not biting. Feeling a bit nervous

On the plus side - not having a commute to do each day or having to meet with arsey people has helped my mental health a bit
        Similar situation. Out for 3 weeks, been looking for 5 but not much out there. Couple of dead ends from agents.

A lot of red herrings on the boards (old roles, duplicate roles, wild goose chases). Honestly think half of it is CV gathering / data gathering.

Good luck - let's hope it picks up!

Comment

Another dead week.

Weather keeping up though!
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Another dead week.

Weather keeping up though!
            Same. I'm on notice at the moment so I've still got one more week in 'work', but it's so dead that I've already started stressing about whether I'm going to have to sell my house and go on benefits
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Fairly dead so far this week but hoping the end of the Summer holidays in a couple of weeks will perk things up.

Comment

Keep looking its quiet but a few banks are going full speed ahead on projects they cannot delay. Lots of hiring managers on holiday is why so very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  Keep looking its quiet but a few banks are going full speed ahead on projects they cannot delay. Lots of hiring managers on holiday is why so very quiet.
                  Outsourcing companies in banks are sending resources back home (rather than put on the bench) as order books are empty post September - no big reg projects from Europe (1000’s of contractors bread and butter) either due to brexit

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Outsourcing companies in banks are sending resources back home (rather than put on the bench) as order books are empty post September - no big reg projects from Europe (1000’s of contractors bread and butter) either due to brexit

Banks are also starting to lose interest in outsourcers & hiring UK IT talent again on sensible rates !

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                      Banks are also starting to lose interest in outsourcers & hiring UK IT talent again on sensible rates !
                      Not Lloyd’s, bank of Scotland, Halifax, RBS

Which ones ?

Comment

Working...
                      X