• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    I was about to start a similar thread, just started looking around as I can feel the pinch starting where I am. Without doubt the market is as dead as I have ever seen it, and this is for PM/PMO Management roles.

Lets hope it is the referendum, because if it isn't....
    Flipping heck, looks like I picked the wrong year to go PM/PMO contracting

Comment

Originally posted by rjoe View Post
      Damn straight - go back to perm and leave it alone!

Comment

And it's all starting to make sense. I'd be happy for PM's and PMO's to correct me here but the bottom end of the quality people I've met call themselves PMO/PM's. The good PMO people are PMO through and through, the good PM's are PM's. From what I've seen being half good at either isn't much use. I'd happy to be corrected though.

Somewhat similar when someone says they are a Service Transition/Delivery Manager.

Oh and yes you did......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          And it's all starting to make sense. I'd be happy for PM's and PMO's to correct me here but the bottom end of the quality people I've met call themselves PMO/PM's. The good PMO people are PMO through and through, the good PM's are PM's. From what I've seen being half good at either isn't much use. I'd happy to be corrected though.

Somewhat similar when someone says they are a Service Transition/Delivery Manager.

Oh and yes you did......
          The best PMO Managers have been PM's or they don't understand what delivery looks like and get obsessed with reports and powerpoint and KPIs.

Very few of us are special enough to be able to do either role, having a CV saying PM and a CV saying PMO is like having a CV saying C++ and another CV saying SQL. You can do both, you don't care which, as long as the £££££ are good.

Comment

The best PMO Managers have been PM's or they don't understand what delivery looks like and get obsessed with reports and powerpoint and KPIs.

Very few of us are special enough to be able to do either role, having a CV saying PM and a CV saying PMO is like having a CV saying C++ and another CV saying SQL. You can do both, you don't care which, as long as the £££££ are good.
            Interesting. But why would a good PM want to or need to have to be a PMO? The last line? But surely that's a bit short termist?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Which is the wrong reason to go contracting. From a PM/PMO point of view, aim upwards at becoming CIO, surely?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Interesting. But why would a good PM want to or need to have to be a PMO? The last line? But surely that's a bit short termist?
                A good PM can be a PMO but a PMO cannot be a PM, simple.

The reason a PM would take a PMO gig is because they need the money, some places pay PMOs £400+. Might be easier for a non banking PM to get into banking via the PMO route too.

Both PM and PMO rates go anywhere between £150 to £700 looking at different job sites. I do love it when I see Senior PM roles at £250 do people go for that?

I recently got ask how I found the market by a recruiter, mentioned that there are a lot of roles on the market but none are following through. Said that it could be companies waiting on the referendum vote to see what happens before committing to contracts.
                Last edited by Drei; 27 May 2016, 10:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
                  A good PM can be a PMO but a PMO cannot be a PM, simple.

The reason a PM would take a PMO gig is because they need the money, some places pay PMOs £400+. Might be easier for a non banking PM to get into banking via the PMO route too.

Both PM and PMO rates go anywhere between £150 to £700 looking at different job sites. I do love it when I see Senior PM roles at £250 do people go for that?

I recently got ask how I found the market by a recruiter, mentioned that there are a lot of roles on the market but none are following through. Said that it could be companies waiting on the referendum vote to see what happens before committing to contracts.
                  There aren't too many agencies that understand how a PM is well qualified for PMO and Programme roles. It's a similar story to Change managers.

Interesting comment about the referendum...

Comment

There aren't too many agencies that understand how a PM is well qualified for PMO and Programme roles. It's a similar story to Change managers.

Interesting comment about the referendum...
                    In recent years, the market has dipped during election time, as well a when the games was on...
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Olympics + Jubilee celebrations made the market pants, no question about it.
                      Referendum will be minor by comparison and there could be a big surge in contract availability in July and August as budgets get signed off. Probably a trickle though, especially with summer holidays.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X