• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    As I said the outsources are desperate for work and have cut rates to the bone...
    Id like to hear from you eek in that case if you agree with the £198 for a mid level ten years experienced Java dev in Lithuania bearing is mind that is only 250usd

Even if that was true and I have doubts about that paying £350 for a Uk based London onshore contractor is not that much more. Or am I missing something

Comment

LPM

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        Id like to hear from you eek in that case if you agree with the £198 for a mid level ten years experienced Java dev in Lithuania bearing is mind that is only 250usd

Even if that was true and I have doubts about that paying £350 for a Uk based London onshore contractor is not that much more. Or am I missing something
        It's not my market but in my market:-

London consultancy rates which would be £1200+ can be hired for £650
        Offshores rates in India and Eastern Europe which would be £400 all in are easily findable for £250 (for named resources and I insist on that as I want the people I know will deliver).
        Last edited by eek; 11 October 2020, 11:51.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thank you bluenose for an insightful post with figure to back up your views. Very very helpful

This in particular “ State of the market update from me remains: "£25k Leeds - Perm." or "£350pd London - Inside IR35".
          That’s what i am being offered. No joke.

The jokes stopped in June.

Comment

It's not my market but in my market:-

London consultancy rates which would be £1200+ can be hired for £650
            Offshores rates in India and Eastern Europe which would be £400 all in are easily findable for £250 (for named resources and I insist on that as I want the people I know will deliver).
            Being from Poland I can tell you that £250pd / £5k a month is a rate most would bite your hand off for as the conversion rate for £ to zl (zloty, local currency) is almost 1 to 5. What is worth keeping in mind is that these sort of pay levels are already possible with perm jobs at senior / in-demand positions, so we are not talking sky high rates either. Software dev market is growing massively there and it's getting more and more expensive, so I wouldn't be surprised if outsourcing to still cheaper countries like Latvia / Ukraine isn't going to get more popular.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Being from Poland I can tell you that £250pd / £5k a month is a rate most would bite your hand off for as the conversion rate for £ to zl (zloty, local currency) is almost 1 to 5. What is worth keeping in mind is that these sort of pay levels are already possible with perm jobs at senior / in-demand positions, so we are not talking sky high rates either. Software dev market is growing massively there and it's getting more and more expensive, so I wouldn't be surprised if outsourcing to still cheaper countries like Latvia / Ukraine isn't going to get more popular.
              £250 isn't the rate that the freelancer is being paid, that's the rate the outsourcing company is charging for a day of their time.

Comment

£250 isn't the rate that the freelancer is being paid, that's the rate the outsourcing company is charging for a day of their time.
                And therefore the actual person will be lucky to get half of that as the consultancy partners sit in their offices smoking cigars and pimping the workers whilst counting their profits....

I ve no clue whether that 250 USD covers the office rental cost and desk or whether it is just the time ...

Comment

And therefore the actual person will be lucky to get half of that as the consultancy partners sit in their offices smoking cigars and pimping the workers whilst counting their profits....

I ve no clue whether that 250 USD covers the office rental cost and desk or whether it is just the time ...
                  It willl more than cover the direct cost of that resource bit I wouldng want to guess how much more. The current battle is keeping resources employed so that at least their employment costs are covered, anything else is a bonus.

Comment

No experience in the financials behind a consultancy engagement just what I remember reading somewhere like Glassdoor for EY bods but I thought it broke down the following way: a third goes to salary for the consultant, a third covers company expenses (marketing, plush offices, director's salaries), the rest is profit for the company.

Comment

As this thread heads towards 1M views, it proves the saying that "misery loves company".

For anyone struggling to find a contract, or in a dark place mentally, it's fair to say this thread will be of no use whatsoever.

The added burden of COVID isolation will no doubt intensify the sense of fear and worry for those individuals prone to anxiety anyway. And for anyone desperate to find work in isolation without a support network, this is undoubtedly a bad time.

IMO the market is the same as it ever was. Arguably even a boom time for those earning good rates with no travelling expenses.

The market has not collapsed. Demand for quality contractors is still high.
                      ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Working...
                      X