• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    no they didn't, they effectively stopped ALL non Dutch nationals, EU citizens included.
    even if they spoke Dutch. (FLUENT was the req)
    the Dutch don't speak FLUENT dutch.
    +1 - the entire point was to protect the local workforce - as it's a very fluid requirement based on whether they like you or not.

In fact all of Europe use it because most people only have english as their second main language.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      People not being able to find a contract for 18 months? Surely you would pack it in and go do something else well before then? For the vast majority of contractors, the warchest will have been used up and if you couldn't find a role for 18 months then maybe there's just not enough demand for your skills and experience as a contractor?
      It depends on your circumstances, some peeps want to do short contract stints only and won't ever go perm.

Comment

no they didn't, they effectively stopped ALL non Dutch nationals, EU citizens included.
        even if they spoke Dutch. (FLUENT was the req)
        the Dutch don't speak FLUENT dutch.
        You are angry that a country is speaking it's official language, rather than English?

Languages of the Netherlands - Wikipedia

The official language of the Netherlands is Dutch, spoken by almost all people in the Netherlands
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          You are angry that a country is speaking it's official language, rather than English?

Languages of the Netherlands - Wikipedia

The official language of the Netherlands is Dutch, spoken by almost all people in the Netherlands
          i'm not angry, just stating a fact.
          before 2008, all IT jobs were open to English speakers, after 2008, not.
          simple fact. i was there.
          what's your problem? mask too tight?

Comment

i'm not angry, just stating a fact.
            before 2008, all IT jobs were open to English speakers, after 2008, not.
            simple fact. i was there.
            what's your problem? mask too tight?
            It does chafe a bit.

I'm guessing IT roles in Wales will go the same way at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

I'm guessing IT roles in Wales will go the same way at some point.
              I'm not convinced. I don't think a significant number of people in Wales speak Dutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                I'm not convinced. I don't think a significant number of people in Wales speak Dutch.
                That's where they are clearly going wrong.

Comment

From what I've seen on LI Jobs, Denmark seems to be fairly relaxed when it comes to languages and does accept English only for a fair amount of roles. By fairly relaxed I mean there's more than 10 jobs listed in English posted in the last 3 months, so not exactly huge amount of work, but still better than Sweden or Holland.

For local jobs it makes perfect sense, for remote, less so, but still it's their countries, they can do whatever the feck they want.

Comment

How are you guys finding the market for React front end roles? Feels like there are a million contracts out there and not one recruiter replies to an application.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                      Question: accepted a permie job offer 12 days ago (as you know, interviewing for contracts in tandem). They were supposed to send the contract last week. I spoke to HR yesterday and they said "We have raised it with the relevant team. Were waiting for them to issue it, but we will chase it up and hopefully you should have it by tomorrow".

Commeth today, I still dont have the contract. Is it normal for it to take this long? Starting to get a bit uneasy as I've never waited more than 3 days for a contract. Just to add, the start date has been set and confirmed by the hiring manager & HR.
                      Think about HR is largely remote these days. So it will be sticky.

The other person's advice is still highly relevant. Nothing is complete until you have personally signed on the dotted line and scanned the PDF and emailed back to counterparty and they acknowledge receipt of the said documents.

Comment

Working...
                      X