• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IL Cattivo View Post
    For the last 16 years, up until the end of June of this year, I was an IT permie who fell victim to the big corp offshore outsourcing cost cutting exercise. The corp was supposedly an 'investor in people' Unfortunately its the way of the world with these types of organizations. They used to be 75% Permie - 25% contractor. Now they're something like 50% offshore outsource, 45% local permie & 5% contractor (if that)

Since then I've been open to both contract and permie jobs. Been finding most recruitment consultants to actually get in the way of bagging contract roles, as thus far I've only had success attaining contracts without using them and liaising with clients directly.

Permie job salaries are as appealing these days as a cardiac arrest..!!
    That's only if you max out your take-home. A good permie role with prospects of climbing the corporate ladder can still appeal at the right time.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Skilled workers 'may be exempt from immigration controls': Hammond - BBC News

This part demonstrates how out of touch they truly are as we all know abuse of this system has gone on for years & Westminster appear to just turn the other cheek!!
      "I cannot conceive of any circumstances in which we would be using those migration controls to prevent banks, companies moving highly qualified, highly skilled people between different parts of their businesses," he said.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Skilled workers 'may be exempt from immigration controls': Hammond - BBC News

This part demonstrates how out of touch they truly are as we all know abuse of this system has gone on for years & Westminster appear to just turn the other cheek!!
        "I cannot conceive of any circumstances in which we would be using those migration controls to prevent banks, companies moving highly qualified, highly skilled people between different parts of their businesses," he said.
        Skilled immigrants coming to the UK is a good thing - the alternative is that those skilled workers move to/remain in other, possibly cheaper countries and undercut us.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          That's only if you max out your take-home. A good permie role with prospects of climbing the corporate ladder can still appeal at the right time.
          That's actually a good valid point... Although I find to achieve those kinds of goals you'd have a much better chance if you secure a permie position within a smaller, established but growing company (less employees) which should give you a much better chance of career progression quicker. Always worth doing your homework and asking the relevant questions at interview beforehand.

Comment

That's actually a good valid point... Although I find to achieve those kinds of goals you'd have a much better chance if you secure a permie position within a smaller, established but growing company (less employees) which should give you a much better chance of career progression quicker. Always worth doing your homework and asking the relevant questions at interview beforehand.
            The size of the organisation shouldn't matter, the interview questions are the key - if you're two levels below the CEO and CIO is their friend, you're not going to progress in a small organisation.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Permie job salaries are as appealing these days as a cardiac arrest..!!
              Are you factoring in the fact that on a contract you could be out on your ear tomorrow and on the bench for months afterwards? Obviously that can happen as a permie too but it is far less likely.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                Are you factoring in the fact that on a contract you could be out on your ear tomorrow and on the bench for months afterwards? Obviously that can happen as a permie too but it is far less likely.
                I'd agree with that, purely because employers tend to tolerate incompetence and deadwood in permies but not contractors.

Comment

Funny old market... been nothing for weeks then had two tel. interviews lined up for today and an offer within 30 mins of the first call.

Decent rates too, up 10% on my usual. Game on
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                    Funny old market... been nothing for weeks then had two tel. interviews lined up for today and an offer within 30 mins of the first call.

Decent rates too, up 10% on my usual. Game on
                    Typical. Mid-September to mid-October are usually dead, then things start picking up in the second half of October for a couple of weeks before Christmas.

Congratulations!
                    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                      I'd agree with that, purely because employers tend to tolerate incompetence and deadwood in permies but not contractors.
                      And yet they keep trying to replace us with permies or offshore staff, because we are "more expensive".
                      You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Working...
                      X