• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
    It really isn't so easy when you have been contracting for such a long time. I have been contracting 27 years. Been applying for permie roles since 2020. Barely had an interview, lost count of how many roles I have applied for. Did have a second interview last week for a role that is ideal. Interviewed really well but think it's a no again.
    What makes you think it's a no?

In interviews when I get asked if I have any questions, one of the ones I normally ask the interviewers is along the lines of:
    "Have you any concerns/reasons why you would NOT give me this role?"

It puts them on the spot and will normally get fairly honest responses from them that will focus on your experience (e.g. in their industry/type of business/etc), or for a permanent role they will be asking "what makes us believe that you won't jump ship as soon as you get your first contract offer?" Think about questions like that and how you can answer/reassure them. Talk about how you have worked on long projects and are driven by getting things delivered, talk about looking for stability/security/how you're tired of living out of a suitcase, whatever.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    It really isn't so easy when you have been contracting for such a long time. I have been contracting 27 years. Been applying for permie roles since 2020. Barely had an interview, lost count of how many roles I have applied for. Did have a second interview last week for a role that is ideal. Interviewed really well but think it's a no again.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by umeshk View Post
    I've even got to a point I'm going for perm roles with salaries when I first started in IT in my early 20's. Is that a mistake, or should I just take it on the chin, take the role to atleast have income?
    I would say don't go for junior roles. Waste of time unless the wolf is at the door. At a minimum look for mid level roles. In the 40K to 65K range. Here they are looking for experienced people but struggle to find anyone because the pay is low. There seems to be no shortage of such roles.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Is that a mistake, or should I just take it on the chin, take the role to atleast have income?
    Might as well take a permie role for 24 months and come back here.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    I've been benched for almost 5 months now, running on fumes now financially. I've been on a couple of permie interviews, but trying to explain why I want to go back to perm role after contracting seems to be a hurdle I'm not able to get over. I've even got to a point I'm going for perm roles with salaries when I first started in IT in my early 20's. Is that a mistake, or should I just take it on the chin, take the role to atleast have income?
    Just say you've had enough of contracting instability and want a nice, steady position. Seems to work for me.

As for going for any role, you probably need to dumb down your cv for entry roles, as I doubt a lot of companies would take on someone way overqualified. If you are in a dire financial situation then any job will be better than no job. Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I've been benched for almost 5 months now, running on fumes now financially. I've been on a couple of permie interviews, but trying to explain why I want to go back to perm role after contracting seems to be a hurdle I'm not able to get over. I've even got to a point I'm going for perm roles with salaries when I first started in IT in my early 20's. Is that a mistake, or should I just take it on the chin, take the role to atleast have income?
    Can't you just say, at this stage in your career you would like the stability of a perm role? Holiday pay, sickness pay, pension, just list a few of the things that the interviewer will no doubt see as benefits they too enjoy. What you must not come over is as a contractor who just wants to take a perm role to make ends meet for 6 months, even if that is the case!
    Last edited by escapeUK; Yesterday, 18:06.

Leave a comment:

• umeshk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    The UK stock market is only up because the pound has gone down against the dollar, and any predicted dividends look higher in dollars with the new exchange rates... so people are prepared to pay more for stock with the same dollar returns

On the other hand any Brit invested in US stocks, will see they have gained massively in the last few months

Originally posted by tsmith View Post

FTSE ALL TIME HIGH! Meanwhile

“Today’s jobs figures are surprisingly poor, with a steep fall in employment and a sharp rise in those out of work, including an unexpected rise in unemployment,” Tony Wilson, the director at the Institute for Employment Studies, said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...interest-rates

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    The UK stock market (FTSE100 or FTSE250) isn't powering towards anything. Their performance over the last decade has been staggeringly bad (as per Reuters):

NASDAQ +388%
    S&P500 +259%
    Nikkei Japan + 138%
    Eursostoxx +62%
    FTSE100 +13%
    FTSE250 MINUS 17%

The UK market weighting in the MCSI world index has halved in the last 15 years. It seems hardly any investors want to buy UK stocks and it's not surprising considering the dull plodding companies that make up most of the index.

Between the two indices, it gives a good idea of how UK companies are poor wealth creators and by extension, well paid job creators.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by tsmith View Post

[...] including an unexpected rise in unemployment,”[...]
    That's one way to bring down inflation even further...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X