• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by willendure View Post

This is true. My client recently posted for a developer on LI and got > 300 applications. Not one of them had real experience of the main skill being sought! I was able to find them 4 or 5 good candidates by posting to the jobs channel on some relevant Discord groups.
    Is recruiting part of your contract? If not, you are SO FAR inside IR35…
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/c05g...460462449#post

Government to tackle 'economic dependency on net migration'

Should be a positive for contractors, if it happens.
      I lost hope for the contractor market to improve anytime soon. Nobody wants to change the status quo. Consultancies got what they wanted and are not going to give it back. Labour are definitely not interested in helping contractors, because they want to grow their voter base--unionised permies. Large corps like it, because they can have access to a large pool of inexpensive permies. It's a win-win for the government and big business.
      You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post

I lost hope for the contractor market to improve anytime soon. Nobody wants to change the status quo. Consultancies got what they wanted and are not going to give it back. Labour are definitely not interested in helping contractors, because they want to grow their voter base--unionised permies. Large corps like it, because they can have access to a large pool of inexpensive permies. It's a win-win for the government and big business.
        They have already asked for the levels of IT immigration to be reviewed. I suspect they will do something about it now but the ship sailed years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

They have already asked for the levels of IT immigration to be reviewed. I suspect they will do something about it now but the ship sailed years ago.
          You're right, it's too far gone now. IT immigration was at just about bearable levels until the government opened the floodgates a few years ago, doling out graduate visas, carer visas, student visas and generally made it a free for all for anyone from non-EU countries. Multiple routes to make their way to the UK job market unfortunately.

At my current and previous client, when I look up recent joinees from overseas on Linkedin half of them look like they came on student visas, as dependents, etc.

Comment

General update from my client (mid sized insurance firm) - brutal round of cuts happening among permies, mostly aimed at upper/middle management. The person I was reporting to was fired, the person they reported to resigned a few weeks later, everyone's looking over their shoulder. The last scrum master

It looks like they're trying to do away with the whole delivery centre model and seat most delivery teams, PMs and BAs within BAU, but that's just guesswork.

I don't think it's limited to IT/tech departments, I can see quite a few new holes appear in the Office365 org chart that weren't there before.

As a PM, in theory, I should think this bodes well for the possibility of a contract extension for me, but who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post
              [...]

As a PM, in theory, I should think this bodes well for the possibility of a contract extension for me, but who knows...
              Really depends if they see contractors as an expense or flexible resource, at the client I'm at now, it's the former and they even made a big announcement how they dropped 95% of contractors and made savings...too bad those people did actual work vs permies who do feck all most days. I'm hanging by a thread, but possibly will be back on the bench end of year

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Is recruiting part of your contract? If not, you are SO FAR inside IR35…
                I'm not sure about that. E.g. I'm not a project manager, but I know a lot of people here are. If my client was looking for a PM and I copy/pasted their blurb into the "Contract Opportunities" thread, I don't think that would put me inside IR35:
                Contract Opportunities - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

On the other hand, if the client wanted me to write the job spec or interview the candidates, that would definitely put me inside IR35.

Comment

Well I've had one interview in three months and didn't get that gig as the spec morphed into some strange cut-n-shut of a wish list that would require someone really quite specific.

Shame as it was outside, paying well, and only required 1 day a fortnight on site. The project sounded interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Well I've had one interview in three months and didn't get that gig as the spec morphed into some strange cut-n-shut of a wish list that would require someone really quite specific.
                    A pattern familiar from the 2008 downturn, now repeating. Role requirements that are over-specific, or too wide ranging. Sometimes both.

Just oversupply of candidates and tight budgets, I guess.
                    Last edited by unixman; Yesterday, 12:45.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Shame as it was outside, paying well, and only required 1 day a fortnight on site. The project sounded interesting too.
                      Or changed to match someone internal / known to the team?

Comment

Working...
                      X