• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
    And another thing!!
    Rates. Forgive me if this has already been discussed earlier in the thread. I've nothing to do today but moan.
    Was contacted about a role with a big pharma about 2 months ago. Around the 400 mark. Contacted about the same (or very similar) role this week and it's £100 a day less. But I suppose they can do exactly what they like with so many people on the market.
    Yes but you have to be the perfect match...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

    Comment


      Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
      And another thing!!
      Rates. Forgive me if this has already been discussed earlier in the thread. I've nothing to do today but moan.
      Was contacted about a role with a big pharma about 2 months ago. Around the 400 mark. Contacted about the same (or very similar) role this week and it's £100 a day less. But I suppose they can do exactly what they like with so many people on the market.
      Is the agent looking for someone who will do it for £100 less or is the client paying £100 less?

      Comment


        Originally posted by AV101 View Post
        Is the agent looking for someone who will do it for £100 less or is the client paying £100 less?
        It's a good question, Captain.
        I'm blaming the client because I'm sure they know the lie of the land and want to save money where they can, but no reason why it shouldn't be the agency chancing their arm. Having said that I had a poor agent contact me last week with a laugh out loud rate from a FTSE company that should know better. He quite openly told me that he told the client they were being unrealistic, but they wouldn't have it.

        Comment


          Originally posted by AV101 View Post
          Is the agent looking for someone who will do it for £100 less or is the client paying £100 less?
          It's a good question, Captain.
          I'm blaming the client because I'm sure they know the lie of the land and want to save money where they can, but no reason why it shouldn't be the agency chancing their arm. Having said that I had a poor agent contact me last week with a laugh out loud rate from a FTSE company that should know better. He quite openly told me that he told the client they were being unrealistic, but they wouldn't have it.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
            I need to have a decent wodge of time off myself. Been working with hardly a break for the last three years or so and took this week off only to find myself ill, so no overseas sun for me. but the market is so strange and I wonder when might be the best time of the year to take, say, 3 months off. I might return and find other people eating my dinner.
            Did you go to the Canaries & Caribbean in the end?

            Comment


              Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
              Did you go to the Canaries & Caribbean in the end?
              Bless you BBP I managed 3 glorious days in the Canaries in the end. I had so many plans....

              This time around I planned to go to Menorca for a few days for a Vit D top up. Was just about to book and found that the friend I was going with, her passport had expired. I thought I'd go anyway, but the next day I got completely wiped out by the flu.
              That's why I'm thinking of going for the 'hang it all, just take some serious time off ' solution.....

              Comment


                Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                Bless you BBP I managed 3 glorious days in the Canaries in the end. I had so many plans....

                This time around I planned to go to Menorca for a few days for a Vit D top up. Was just about to book and found that the friend I was going with, her passport had expired. I thought I'd go anyway, but the next day I got completely wiped out by the flu.
                That's why I'm thinking of going for the 'hang it all, just take some serious time off ' solution.....
                Doesn't look like there's going to be any opportunity to top up your vitamin d over here for the foreseeable future so I'd just go for it if I were you!

                I could be wrong but it doesn't feel like summer's just round the corner....
                Last edited by Big Blue Plymouth; 4 May 2017, 20:36.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  For a good paying contract, I can work anywhere in UK or Europe but can't be bothered to up sticks for a permie role.
                  it doesn't make financial sense because of living away expenses.
                  And the BS-ing by the HR and managers who think you are their slave.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If you are a contractor you need to be prepared to go where ever, however I agree with you about permanent roles.
                    This is a rather sweeping statement. I for one am not willing to go wherever for a contract - if it means being away from home in the week or travelling abroad then I discount myself from the off.
                    ______________________
                    Don't get mad...get even...

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      This is a rather sweeping statement. I for one am not willing to go wherever for a contract - if it means being away from home in the week or travelling abroad then I discount myself from the off.
                      Agreed.

                      I have done it once in 17 years, very much my choice to work abroad at that time, apart from that the max has been a commute of 1.5 hours each way.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X