• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smackdown View Post
    Could I have some advice on how to price myself please?

I've recently done a contract on what I thought was a high rate for a mid software dev but I have no idea if that was a lucky shot or fairly standard? How do you chaps figure out the correct rate in the current market?

I keep meeting contract recruiters trying to push £350/day but I also noticed the same people try to push £35k for a permie dev which I know is low in my region. Tips and tricks appreciated.

I'm .NET with 4 years experience, South West and financial services background if anyone is able to chip in.
    Its like asking what a house is worth. What anyone is prepared to pay for it.

Personally I say I will go for market rate. There are still alot of people on the market.

Comment

La Fosse - do they ever actually recruit anyone?
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        I previously got a permie role through them.

I know some contractors here who came in through them.

I was told a while ago by my hr director (when I was trying to hire permies) that they are very expensive so we ended up ditching them.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Its like asking what a house is worth. What anyone is prepared to pay for it.

Personally I say I will go for market rate. There are still alot of people on the market.
          Thanks for the advice Brillo. I'll mark up my rates once I get a few years of contracting under my belt.

Just b0000med earlier today

Comment

Just to update infrastructure people on my findings of the market at the moment;

Since we came back from Christmas I must have had 7 or 8 CV submissions and so far have one interview lined up as a result of those. However, on the whole rates do not seem quite as good as they did last year and there are a lot of applicants for every role I am applying for; there are definitely roles out there but they are getting harder and harder to secure.

The role I'm interviewing for is 160 miles away because all the other local roles (I am assuming) had better talent applying.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              Just to update infrastructure people on my findings of the market at the moment;

Since we came back from Christmas I must have had 7 or 8 CV submissions and so far have one interview lined up as a result of those. However, on the whole rates do not seem quite as good as they did last year and there are a lot of applicants for every role I am applying for; there are definitely roles out there but they are getting harder and harder to secure.

The role I'm interviewing for is 160 miles away because all the other local roles (I am assuming) had better talent applying.
              no just cheaper talent

as the people in the outsourcers brought in from abroad who have gained indefinte leave to remain or British passports slowly leave they clog up the rest of the market with their cheap rates

Comment

Finished at Christmas, full time on JobServe since then...

Back in the game mid January

Market looking buoyant for me, much more so than when I was looking middle of last year.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

An interesting question. I have applied to a few of their job adverts and to date have never even received a call from them, just their standard email stating that I wasn't successful.
                  Interestingly, my current gig was advertised by them and a second agent and it was the second agent that came up trumps :-)
                  "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
                    An interesting question. I have applied to a few of their job adverts and to date have never even received a call from them, just their standard email stating that I wasn't successful.
                    Interestingly, my current gig was advertised by them and a second agent and it was the second agent that came up trumps :-)
                    Same, it does make me wonder about La Fosse...
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

La Fosse

I was placed by them last year

Comment

Working...
                      X