• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Especially as it is in a traditionally quiet period.
    It's not quiet....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm mid contract so can't act on anything. But even not being pro active with it, there has been a recent upturn in activity I've noticed.

Comment

I start a new role on Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
          I start a new role on Wednesday

I start Thursday.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I start Thursday.....
            You haven't finished cleaning the house!

Comment

What I have seen this time round is a lot more fannying about on the part of clients - waiting 3 weeks to review CVs, a month for the 2nd interview, etc. I've had to start my 'Plan B' gig as the Plan A wasn't quite walking the "they want people immediately" walk as much as they were talking it.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                What I have seen this time round is a lot more fannying about on the part of clients - waiting 3 weeks to review CVs, a month for the 2nd interview, etc. I've had to start my 'Plan B' gig as the Plan A wasn't quite walking the "they want people immediately" walk as much as they were talking it.
                Yes have seen this, however, for this one discussed the role with agent and sent CV on Tuesday 25th, Friday 28th had request for interview which we arranged for following Tuesday at 3pm, role offered on same day and this is public sector!! at 5.30pm and starting a week later.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  In an almost completely unscientific way this sounds encouraging!
                  I've been off work a little while now, on the bench self imposed (sabbatical) but now need to get back to looking for a job. Been feeling uncharacteristically nervy, but reading these posts are making me a bit better.

Comment

Boomed! (provisionally)

Last contract ended April 2016, same contract caused my SC to go inactive.

Had surgery during that gig, took 6 months off which led to 9 months due to complications, had two gigs with consultancies fall through due to internal projects ending, freeing resource...the barren months with nary a call or worse, good roles wanting active current SC... the patronising of permie interviews...

Got rung up last week about a potential gig, looked a no-hoper for a number of reasons. Agent got back in touch, wanted to know if I was still available... errm yes. 20 minute phone conversation today, not even close to being an interview... basically first thing mentioned in interview was they want me for Monday! Who said it was difficult on the bench?

Not the greatest of rates but 15 minutes drive away and client willing to sponsor SC.

Just the paperwork to go then, nothing can possibly go wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                      Boomed! (provisionally)

Last contract ended April 2016, same contract caused my SC to go inactive.

Had surgery during that gig, took 6 months off which led to 9 months due to complications, had two gigs with consultancies fall through due to internal projects ending, freeing resource...the barren months with nary a call or worse, good roles wanting active current SC... the patronising of permie interviews...

Got rung up last week about a potential gig, looked a no-hoper for a number of reasons. Agent got back in touch, wanted to know if I was still available... errm yes. 20 minute phone conversation today, not even close to being an interview... basically first thing mentioned in interview was they want me for Monday! Who said it was difficult on the bench?

Not the greatest of rates but 15 minutes drive away and client willing to sponsor SC.

Just the paperwork to go then, nothing can possibly go wrong...
                      Whatever happens stay well.

Comment

Working...
                      X