• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In fairness most of them do take on the job of getting money out of the end client, which isn't always the easiest task.

I haven't got a problem with agents who put the best contractor in front of the client taking their fair share of the spoils. My problem is more and more of them aren't doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      Not sure why the laughter, where I am the agents are on a flat day rate split into bands, the band I'm in will give them between 8.3% and 5.0%

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        I have been told twice to increase my day rate by the agent as they are on a fixed %.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
          Not sure why the laughter, where I am the agents are on a flat day rate split into bands, the band I'm in will give them between 8.3% and 5.0%
          She is obviously on such a low day rate, the agent requires 20% just so he can eat that day
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            In fairness most of them do take on the job of getting money out of the end client, which isn't always the easiest task.

I haven't got a problem with agents who put the best contractor in front of the client taking their fair share of the spoils. My problem is more and more of them aren't doing this.
            ^this

Comment

Some are on a fixed rate, of course.

A Performance Tester I worked with told me about the time he had been in a contract for a few months and was chatting to a manager who told him he drove a hard bargain when he insisted his daily rate went up at the last minute to cover his accommodation costs.

First he had heard of it! The agent had pocketed the money.

Comment

£100 a day Indians being charged to the end client at £500 a day are one of many reasons why the market is still quiet ! Book your xmas holidays now it aint going to change much between now & 20th January is it!

Comment

so I think this kind of business should be regulated
                  Surely shome mistake

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

The mistake you are making is thinking that agents understand the market they are recruiting for. They don't.

If the keywords match on your CV, you fulfil other criteria (some of which is illegal) and they can negotiate your rate at the right level then your CV goes forward.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well done Bee. Completely missed the mark again. Might be something to do with the fact you don't deal with UK agencies or UK clients and are just guessing again.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X