• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cablarnshowntone View Post
    I've had a similar experience. Usually takes no time to get interviews and offers. I have had little to no feedback on a number of roles that match my skills and experience. I've been told some of them are now permie roles, some of them the hiring manager is not responding. I have had two phone interviews whic i've been informed both of which have been moved forward but the one that is already offering is taking a long time to confirm offer and answer negotiation questions etc. Very odd... there's a storm brewing and I think most people are caught in the headlights of propaganda.
    The storm being Brexit, do you think? I was looking before the General Election and things were quiet until it was over, then it improved. Hopefully there's some demand building up due to companies putting projects on hold.

I'm seeing a few jobs but it's not great stuff. As for those that don't advertise a rate, well, pffft to that.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
      The storm being Brexit, do you think? I was looking before the General Election and things were quiet until it was over, then it improved. Hopefully there's some demand building up due to companies putting projects on hold.

I'm seeing a few jobs but it's not great stuff. As for those that don't advertise a rate, well, pffft to that.
      +1 Market rate = tulip rate IME

Comment

I was about to start a similar thread, just started looking around as I can feel the pinch starting where I am. Without doubt the market is as dead as I have ever seen it, and this is for PM/PMO Management roles.

Lets hope it is the referendum, because if it isn't....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
          I was about to start a similar thread, just started looking around as I can feel the pinch starting where I am. Without doubt the market is as dead as I have ever seen it, and this is for PM/PMO Management roles.

Lets hope it is the referendum, because if it isn't....
          Its not just the referendum the market is oversaturated with cheaper partially skilled EU import candidates! By the time you apply for any IT role your already number 100 in the queue agents are literally getting 200 CV's within an hour on any decent role so imagine how hard it is to even get an interview let alone your CV not being binned or ever seen! Only exceptions right now are niche skillset roles few have genuine experience of

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            Its not just the referendum the market is oversaturated with cheaper partially skilled EU import candidates! By the time you apply for any IT role your already number 100 in the queue agents are literally getting 200 CV's within an hour on any decent role so imagine how hard it is to even get an interview let alone your CV not being binned or ever seen! Only exceptions right now are niche skillset roles few have genuine experience of
            Yeah - but its obvious to the hirer who the better candidates are, I've not gotten a role anywhere except via LinkedIn for the past 4 years, jobserve etc may well suffer from this now, but if there are decent roles out there, decent people will get a call.

I've been doing this for 15 years and worked in pretty much every industry, I've never seen things so quiet, certainly not since 2007/8.

Comment

Brexit? Well yes partly... but maybe there are deeper economic issues at play plus of course cheap labour? However, I've not had this issue before, I have niche skills and am techie. There's an offer but confirmation and neg is slow... much slower than ever before. I've been contracting for about 3 years. I'm still in contract, I might add.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
                Yeah - but its obvious to the hirer who the better candidates are, I've not gotten a role anywhere except via LinkedIn for the past 4 years, jobserve etc may well suffer from this now, but if there are decent roles out there, decent people will get a call.

I've been doing this for 15 years and worked in pretty much every industry, I've never seen things so quiet, certainly not since 2007/8.
                I've been doing this way longer than 15 years I know its obvious to the hirer. One of the big issue's is the recruiters are less experienced than ever they are pushing cheaper candidates to maintain profit margins as less roles so higher profit margins are key to many. Even getting through the ex-supermarket workers turned wannabe recruiters is harder than ever the over saturated candidates pool means companies know before they go to market the exact person they want/need is probably sitting around waiting for the call & able to start immediately!! You & I know quality is everything in this game but recruiters seem to be stuck in a less is good enough approach sadly
                Throw in the 2007/8 financial crash never actually went away except according to manipulated government creative accounting means the state of the market is very very worrying

Comment

Weirdly it's tech vendors that seem to be more willing to hire contractors than anyone else right now...

Comment

Three Swallows do not a Summer Make. Or do they?

I never get calls.

This week I've had three. One £650-750 and another £700.

Who ever knows what's going on...
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                      I never get calls.

This week I've had three. One £650-750 and another £700.

Who ever knows what's going on...
                      Well that's the strange thing - the two vendor contracts were headhunters and the rates are similar... between 525 and 700 a day.

WEIRD

Comment

Working...
                      X