• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    say goodbye to your jobs
    flood gates are opening
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/64619479.cms
    You mean many contractors havent already said goodbye to 'their' jobs!?

Comment

Another extension in the offing.. only 3 months this time as the project is drawing to a close, but it'll take me up to November and then I can take the rest of the winter off.

Do what thou wilt

Comment

India, visas, oh, come on, guys, is that really a surprise? That's what Brexit is all about and it was obvious from the start. The EU citizens (including Brits) are too expensive and needed to be forced to go down or replaced with cheaper workforce. You can't just try to make the EU migrants work for much less than the British - why would they do that instead of packing and moving to Switzerland, Germany and so on. Brexit (and the government playing with IR35) was the solution:

1. [IR35] you change the narrative by disingenuously portraying contractors as evil tax dodgers who get more money for doing same jobs as the majority

2. [IR35] then you make the people happy by dealing with those filthy leeches (i.e. us ) and make them pay the same taxes but without any benefits and protections perms get

3. [Brexit] you get rid of protections for workers' rights (aka 'ripping up red tape' ),

4. [Brexit + IR35] now it is easy for the corporate elite to gradually start switching the workforce from perm to contract (like the slowly boiled frog, the people will not see what's done to them till it's too late)

5. [Brexit] in the meantime, you import cheap workforce from India et al

6. [Brexit] the rates are going down so you gradually lose experts from the EU, but you have already made sure that the majority of Brits cannot escape to the continent and work in the EU, they are not citizens anymore... and the flood of new slaves more than compensates for the loss

7. [Brexit] by replacing the EU workforce and the single market with visas for India etc. you make sure your new cheap workforce is immobilised and completely bound to the employer and the country (i.e. cannot just find jobs anywhere in the EU)

8. Congratulations ! You have just built yourself a new, shiny bargain basement economy!

There are, of course, a few slightly different groups with slightly different angles behind Brexit so there are also some other (than the above) good reasons that drive them (e.g. the new anti tax avoidance regulations coming into force in 2019 throughout the EU).

But yeah, modern slavery, that's what Brexit and IR35 have always been about.

EDIT: A few fun facts about China (you certainly did not think it would be just about India, did you? )

Much greater supply of STEM workers then the US (yeah, the US, not just the UK)

China has 4x the population as the US, but 10x the tech employees.

Chinese engineers work “9-9-6”: 9AM to 9PM, 6 days a week.
        Last edited by gerden; 23 June 2018, 12:29. Reason: clarification + fun facts about China ;)

Comment

Originally posted by gerden View Post
          India, visas, oh, come on, guys, is that really a surprise? That's what Brexit is all about and it was obvious from the start. The EU citizens (including Brits) are too expensive and needed to be forced to go down or replaced with cheaper workforce. You can't just try to make the EU migrants work for much less than the British - why would they do that instead of packing and moving to Switzerland, Germany and so on. Brexit (and the government playing with IR35) was the solution:

1. [IR35] you change the narrative by disingenuously portraying contractors as evil tax dodgers who get more many for doing same jobs as the majority

2. [IR35] then you make the people happy by dealing with those filthy leeches (i.e. us ) and make them pay the same taxes but without any benefits and protections perms get

3. [Brexit] you get rid of protections for workers' rights (aka 'ripping up red tape' ),

4. [Brexit + IR35] now it is easy for the corporate elite to gradually start switching the workforce from perm to contract (like the slowly boiled frog, the people will not see what's done to them till it's too late)

6. [Brexit] the rates are going down so you gradually lose experts from the EU, but you have already made sure that the majority of Brits cannot escape to the continent and work in the EU, they are not citizens anymore... and the flood of new slaves more than compensates for the loss

7. [Brexit] by replacing the EU workforce and the single market with visas for India etc. you make sure your new cheap workforce is immobilised and completely bound to the employer and the country (i.e. cannot just find jobs anywhere in the EU)

8. Congratulations ! You have just built yourself a new, shiny bargain basement economy!

There are, of course, a few slightly different groups with slightly different angles behind Brexit so there are also some other (than the above) good reasons that drive them (e.g. the new anti tax avoidance regulations coming into force in 2019).

Interesting for a first post. No doubt some will say a sockie.

Curious to see if this will be or

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
            Interesting for a first post. No doubt some will say a sockie.

Curious to see if this will be or
            Curious too . Let's wait and see

Comment

I suspect that the wait won't be that long.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by gerden View Post

1. [IR35] you change the narrative by disingenuously portraying contractors as evil tax dodgers who get more money for doing same jobs as the majority

There are, of course, a few slightly different groups with slightly different angles behind Brexit so there are also some other (than the above) good reasons that drive them (e.g. the new anti tax avoidance regulations coming into force in 2019 throughout the EU).

EDIT: A few fun facts about China (you certainly did not think it would be just about India, did you? )

Much greater supply of STEM workers then the US (yeah, the US, not just the UK)

China has 4x the population as the US, but 10x the tech employees.

Chinese engineers work “9-9-6”: 9AM to 9PM, 6 days a week.
                Added some fun facts about China (see above) . Oh, and let's not forget about the new emerging supply of IT professionals, Africa (with the population of over 1.2 billion) - I bet each of us who has ever worked remotely and compteted for contracts on the global market had worked with our African colleagues. Well, now - freed from the shackles of the EU - Britain will finally be able to trade globally (i.e. it will be easier for the corporations to import skilled workforce from all over the world, including Africa, instead of ludicrously overpaying for spoilt and entitled citizens of the EU). Good for business! Hell yeah!

Comment

Hammer-time!

Comment

Sticking my neck out for GDPR work has led to a renewal for doing other stuff. Hurrah!
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      Sticking my neck out for GDPR work has led to a renewal for doing other stuff. Hurrah!
                      Surely that's D&C. You'd need a new contract to do other stuff.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X