• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Whatever happens stay well.
    Thanks.

The market has definitely picked up. I suspect a lot of companies are now realising Brexit will be happening so need IT systems in place to deal with demands around the time of leaving EU.

Comment

Market seems pretty buoyant at present for Scrum Master work in and around the city.

Unfortunately currently facing my first spell on the bench since entering contracting, as a gig I'd been verbally offered, which was due to start this week has been placed on hold.

Comment

I Lost my main gig (after well over 2 1/2 years there) unexpectedly and suddenly recently. Unrelated to PSC and HSBC events.

total billable time lost from final day to finding a new gig was 7 working days and then a total of 14 working days until start billing onsite for a corporate. This indicates a good market.

Work opportunities were split between London and non-London based gigs was far more 'even' than in the past. I would say it is approximately 50/50 now.

Still ended up in in London though

I experienced the usual problems with Jobserve and Linkedin chancers, the usual stuff. Some professional agents too, as is the way, much better in general then during a downturn. Not a single request for 2-references.

Rate range was the usual £650 London based 750pd outside.

42 separate Jobserve advertisements responded to. Call-backs from agencies from said adverts - 4.

Number of recruitment individuals on my Linkedin - 300-400 approx. Responders from linked in - 2.

I actually got more calls from recruiters searching my profile on the 'big 5' jobsites using key-words. Average phone call inquiries to me per day from these guys - 3 or 4 Tuesday-Thurs. Next to none Mon or Fri.

After speaking to many people in the industry it does indeed appear that the IR35 PSC changes created quite the opportunity and has created all sorts of activity which has benefitted both public and private sector consultancies.

Found a 2 year gig with a previous client in the end, no agency. Jammy.

Keep chin up if you are still on the bench or have been benched.

Comment

Well, I eventually found something but it is shorter than I normally accepted and had to drop my rate drastically (90% of something is better than 100% of nothing). And, I was still being told by agencies I contacted that the testing market in the north was dire.

Numerous agents tried to get me to go to London but I said that wasnt acceptable to me.

Numerous agencies were telling me they hadnt had a testing role 'in ages.' Yes, there were some testing roles but these were very niche where clients wanted a, people who'd worked on a niche product, b, had a requirements list as long as your arm, c, absolutely ticked all the boxes and d, had worked for them before.

Comment

Interesting as this goes against a lot of what people are posting they are experiencing at the moment

IT contractor demand hits a new high for 2017 :: Contractor UK

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              Interesting as this goes against a lot of what people are posting they are experiencing at the moment

I guess most people only post here when they are struggling to find a contract. All those happily in contracts I guess don't keep this thread up to date!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

They clearly look at all vacancies but its not scientific so that means the same role advertised by 8 different agencies is counted 8 times most likely. Same as when the government count unemployment it does not include people who worked 1 day per month, economically inactive but living on savings, vacancies that are already filled & or job ads on their system which are filled months ago! The market has improved since August but its still a very challenging environment for UK contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  They clearly look at all vacancies but its not scientific so that means the same role advertised by 8 different agencies is counted 8 times most likely. Same as when the government count unemployment it does not include people who worked 1 day per month, economically inactive but living on savings, vacancies that are already filled & or job ads on their system which are filled months ago! The market has improved since August but its still a very challenging environment for UK contractors.
                  Whether it is challenging or not depends on your skillset.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Interestingly I was speaking to my old boss the other day and he said he is really struggling to fill my prior position; I know that's permie not temp, but he said he had interviewed 12 candidates at the same money and none of them had the skills we was looking for.

The salary they're offering is relatively competitive based on their location too.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                      Interestingly I was speaking to my old boss the other day and he said he is really struggling to fill my prior position; I know that's permie not temp, but he said he had interviewed 12 candidates at the same money and none of them had the skills we was looking for.

The salary they're offering is relatively competitive based on their location too.
                      It maybe how he's looking.

If he's sensible he should be looking for someone with the potential to learn and fill the role not the finished article.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X