• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long can the pimp play this game with my rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You're all telling him not to budge on rate from what he initially quoted.
    No, I'm not. He can budge as far as he wants if he gets a counter-offer worth considering.
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Although if the agent says "how low can you go" why aren't you just asking "what will the client pay?"
    Precisely.

I said he should say he's willing to consider counter-offers.

But if he comes back and says, "Oh, I can go 25 quid a day less," and the agent says, "How about 50 quid", he can't really accept it without creating a really bad precedent with at least the agent and maybe the client. If he's willing to go 50 a day less, he shouldn't say 25. But he also shouldn't say 50 a day less, because that will be all he will get.

Why cut your own throat? He's made an offer. If they don't like it but they want his services, ask them for a counter-offer. If he's happy with it, he can accept it. If it is disrespectful, he can walk away. If the agent is just having it on, well, the agent is risking losing his cut, so he should tell him he's looking elsewhere.

Always negotiate from the strongest position you can, not the weakest.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      No, I'm not. He can budge as far as he wants if he gets a counter-offer worth considering.

Precisely.

I said he should say he's willing to consider counter-offers.

But if he comes back and says, "Oh, I can go 25 quid a day less," and the agent says, "How about 50 quid", he can't really accept it without creating a really bad precedent with at least the agent and maybe the client. If he's willing to go 50 a day less, he shouldn't say 25. But he also shouldn't say 50 a day less, because that will be all he will get.

Why cut your own throat? He's made an offer. If they don't like it but they want his services, ask them for a counter-offer. If he's happy with it, he can accept it. If it is disrespectful, he can walk away. If the agent is just having it on, well, the agent is risking losing his cut, so he should tell him he's looking elsewhere.

Always negotiate from the strongest position you can, not the weakest.
      "Let me have a think about it on my way back from this morning's interview."

That'll shut the little weasel up.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I started at a place with another contractor where the client told me when hiring the other contractor the agent told them that they were away and were stalling on starting when in fact the contractor was sat there not away with the agent telling them there were problems with the client and they wanted them to take less money.

This all came out in general conversation when contractor started and client not too happy but nothing they could do as it was sometime after they had started.

I really hate agencies and they seem to mess about clients as much as contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
          I started at a place with another contractor where the client told me when hiring the other contractor the agent told them that they were away and were stalling on starting when in fact the contractor was sat there not away with the agent telling them there were problems with the client and they wanted them to take less money.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post

This all came out in general conversation when contractor started and client not too happy but nothing they could do as it was sometime after they had started.

I really hate agencies and they seem to mess about clients as much as contractors.
            The best model for contractors is for the agency to be on a fixed percentage.
            It is then in the agent's interest to get the best contractor available because in theory they can charge more for them.

It also means that the client can see what they get for £300/day v £500/day v £700/day and take their pick over ability to deliver v price.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              The best model for contractors is for the agency to be on a fixed percentage.
              It is then in the agent's interest to get the best contractor available because in theory they can charge more for them.

It also means that the client can see what they get for £300/day v £500/day v £700/day and take their pick over ability to deliver v price.
              If only more clients did this, at the end of the day transparency is king, I know IB clients enforce this a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                If only more clients did this, at the end of the day transparency is king, I know IB clients enforce this a lot more.
                As part of that, there's also very little recognition of seniority/experience - they want a BI Developer at x hundred a day. It's just thrown out there rather than the client actually asking the agent what they can expect for different budgets (as you would if you were recruiting a perm, where you'd advertise for junior, senior or normal level analyst for example).

I've seen contractors who are bluffing their way through and learning on the job - seems to be an M.O. for many in IB unfortunately, although the round of culls going on may sort the wheat from the chaff and get London-based IB hiring managers thinking about who they actually take on in future.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  ...I've seen contractors who are bluffing their way through and learning on the job - seems to be an M.O. for many in IB unfortunately....
                  Not just IB, happens quite often in Telco & Media as well

Comment

Originally posted by Macavity View Post
                    Pimp actually txt'ed me on Friday to say the rate should be fine. Yesterday he called to say client won't raise to it (which shouldn't make a difference as it's a consultancy arrangement). Then to say client is trying to raise to it but it would help if he knew my bottom line.

All sounds like agency tactics to me.
                    Let us know where you end up with your rate - I've been in similar position where after a few days of negotiations I dropped the agreed rate to 5% less but then managed to find another gig (as the client was taking long to move things forward) and used it a leverage to increase the rate to 10% more of what was initially agreed.

Comment

Working...
                    X