• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract End Date wording - 'at the latest' ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract End Date wording - 'at the latest' ?

Hi guys,

Am having a bit of oddity with a contract extension.

Current contract schedule states - '... contract terminates on 2016-xx-xx'

The extension schedule states 'contract terminates at the latest on xxxx-xx-xx'

'at the latest' ? so what is actually the end date??

The notice period is the same as previously though.

Should I sign? It feels odd, as to me this feels a bit ambiguous and open-ended.

One of the rationals given by HR is that this is better for IR35...

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by panadol; 10 May 2016, 23:01.

I'd would expect latest being at the end of the working day of the date specified but it's interesting the put latest so I'd get the contract checked by QDOS and see what they say. Normally they can bin you when they want citing either some poor performance or conduct or they can give notice and withdraw work so if you have a no time sheet no pay clause it's effectively instant anyway.
    Luckily a vast majority of clients honour notice. You maybe just want to check this doesn't give them the chance to bin you at any notice they fancy.

If it'll goes tits up and you or the client want out you can always negotiate as well. It's not all black and white which could be part of the 'latest'.

Unless it's over 30 days, notice has next to nothing to do with IR35. A minor flag at best.
    That said NEVER let a client or agent tell you about IR35. It's your job to know as it affects you. You should be 3 steps ahead of them in this area and should never take their word for it.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 May 2016, 02:03.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The contract ends when the job is done, or by that date, whichever is sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        The contract ends when the job is done, or by that date, whichever is sooner.
        This.

Be prepared to go off site if you deliver early. Being given work to pad your contract out is "IR35-bad", which is probably what they were hinting at.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

As said above...

It will help with IR35 I would imagine. Take the gig and work as slowly as you can get away with.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
            As said above...

It will help with IR35 I would imagine. Take the gig and work as slowly as you can get away with.
            It won't help if working practices are kicking it into touch though. While the contract is geared up to get the contractor offsite if the work is completed sooner, this is rendered null and void if the OP is given extra work to keep them busy without a revised statement of work.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              It won't help if working practices are kicking it into touch though. While the contract is geared up to get the contractor offsite if the work is completed sooner, this is rendered null and void if the OP is given extra work to keep them busy without a revised statement of work.
              For sure...

Comment

Definitely good for IR35, I would sign as others have said they sack you anyway whenever they want. Point is there is work to be done and you'll be paid.

Whatever happens at some point you will have to look for another contract, whether a few weeks earlier or later makes no odds and obviously you'll know when your work is coming to an end.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

Agree that when work is done then work is done..

It just seems to be a bit of a contradiction, as the client originally estimated 6-9 months of work left; a few days later, this 6 months extension is phrased like this. A bit odd.

Comment

Originally posted by panadol View Post
                    Thanks for the advice guys.

Agree that when work is done then work is done..

It just seems to be a bit of a contradiction, as the client originally estimated 6-9 months of work left; a few days later, this 6 months extension is phrased like this. A bit odd.
                    Welcome to contracting

Comment

Working...
                    X