• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signed contract but not started yet!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signed contract but not started yet!

Hi, I signed a contract via an agency with a specified start date, however the start date has been delayed. I was assured by the agency several times that the role had been fully authorised by the end client but it has transpired that this is not in fact the case and that approvals are still being sought. I'm particularly upset as I have relied upon the contract to set up a company, paid insurance, put in place other arrangements etc.

Is my only sensible option to keep looking around for something else until I actually start? I don't see how I can be bound by a notice period in a contract with a start date that they have already ignored.

Keep applying for new roles. Don't stop until you start a role

Comment

Until you are sat at a clients desk or have your first invoice in (depending on your attitude to risk or you are TF) you have nothing. We had a guy on here last year got canned in reception first morning.

Keep applying.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

+1, keep looking.
        You have learnt not to trust any old agents word.

Welcome to the wonderful world of contracting
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Do not trust the agent, he really doesn't give a tulip about you and will just keep you dangling on the end of a string if you let him, chances are the role may disappear, keep applying until you are sat at a desk invoicing.

Comment

Thank you for your replies - yes I have learnt the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              Do not trust the agent, he really doesn't give a tulip about you and will just keep you dangling on the end of a string if you let him, chances are the role may disappear, keep applying until you are sat at a desk invoicing.
              I agree. Agent will say anything to keep you dangling. Chances are the role is not even signed off at the client yet, or theres only a 50/50 chance it ever will.

BUT agent knows hes got someone ready to go if and when the client gives the nod. If it all falls through expect a "look we're really sorry but client has pulled the role" phone call.

Happened to me once and I was not impressed but it happens to a lot of people it seems these days. One agency guy said he'd make it his personal mission to get me something else because he felt so bad about it. Yeh right - bet you couldn't sleep last night!

For me, if the start date got delayed like this I'd be telling the agency, right as far as I'm concerned there is no contract in place now, and be full tilt looking for something else. If it happens it happens but if something else comes up I'd want to be the one making the "sorry I've got something else now" call to the agency.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

It happens all you can do is look for something else keep the agency dangling now do not tell them either then if the role ever goes live & the budget is there you have hopefully 2 choices. Until your sitting at your desk on the last day & have been paid fully up to then its all fluid you can be asked at anytime to leave. This is why I think IT contractors earn every penny as there are many scenarios where you have some financial exposure based on verbal non binding agreements.

I was kept dangling twice late last year & turned down a ready to start role....5 months later here I am posting on here instead of being in contract!!!

Comment

Do you even have a notice period prior to starting? Most contracts don't.

Comment

The reason I raised the notice period was that the contract had a fixed start date and was fully signed by all parties. I'm sure I could be difficult about that if I chose to but I'm just going to treat it as null and void.

Comment

Working...
                    X