• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to work after long break - cv?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to work after long break - cv?

Hi,

I stopped working in 2014 to spend some time looking after the family while the wife built up her small business. Had been working for over a decade at that point.

Now looking to get back into hopefully a contract - any thoughts/advice/experience on how to refer to this time on the cv? At the moment the sabbatical is not on there - ends at my last gig in '14.

Field is banking. Net development if important...

Cheers!

How do you fancy your chances against contractors who haven't had a break?

Possibly better accepting that you'll have to go cheap initially (or perm/both!)
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Gotta be careful with the banking side of it if you are even considering trying to be a little cloak and dagger. It's highly likely you'll have to go through some checking procedures which will probably require you to submit bank statements for the periods you were off or something similar. If it doesn't tie up exactly with your CV and linkedin you could be in a spot of hot water.

Agree with LM.. It's gonna have to be a scatter gun approach to get going and hope you hit lucky. Agents aren't very good at understanding breaks sadly.

When you do get something don't forget to get the contract reviewed and get your IPSE+ membership again as soon as you start.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 30 March 2016, 11:53.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks. Not trying to be cloak and dagger Just wondering what to put - eg "career break".

As far as having to take a bit too come back in yes that's possible - will take a few interviews and see what happens.

Comment

Could you not have been supplying consultancy for another LTD, for some of that time, who can provide a water tight reference for you .

Yes, a difficult one, although I have breaks of up to 9 months on my CV. Can be done, but try not to come across as a real desperado, as you will find things a lot more difficult with agents and clients alike.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You state your wife's co name, what you did and get a (good) reference from your wife.

It's not a 'break' you were still working.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
              You state your wife's co name, what you did and get a (good) reference from your wife.

It's not a 'break' you were still working.
              I would agree with that really sadly if you are * TO* honest it could work against you. Experience tells me (contracting 16yrs) if you mention a "Break" to agents sirens sound, bells ring, and one of the first things they say is "So how long have you been out" So soften the blow and help yourself dont use the word "break"

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                How do you fancy your chances against contractors who haven't had a break?

Possibly better accepting that you'll have to go cheap initially (or perm/both!)
                Go cheap can work with a perm but not in contracting. After the break, I followed in that mistake suggested by the agency, and I discover that the agency was taking 50% but the client was paying the the agency the same as the others. You are not beneficiating the client but the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
                  I would agree with that really sadly if you are * TO* honest it could work against you. Experience tells me (contracting 16yrs) if you mention a "Break" to agents sirens sound, bells ring, and one of the first things they say is "So how long have you been out" So soften the blow and help yourself dont use the word "break"
                  True, probably "break" is not the best word to use with half those feckwits. Mine have been when I have been travelling, have been doing the same for around 16 years and never had an issue.

Agree saying you have been setting up another business with your wife is a good thing to say, especially given the length of time out. If you can pad this out wit references on the side for part time .net consultancy, even better.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                    Go cheap can work with a perm but not in contracting. After the break, I followed in that mistake suggested by the agency, and I discover that the agency was taking 50% but the client was paying the the agency the same as the others. You are not beneficiating the client but the agency.
                    I'll do my best not to beneficiate agents.

As for going cheap, you've clearly never been involved in NHS or Wipro projects.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X