• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sainsburys in Coventry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sainsburys in Coventry

I'm looking to take an offer to work for Sainsburys in Coventry as a developer.
    Anyone been there and willing to share their experiences?

I worked at Sainsburys in Holborn. In ten years it was the contract I enjoyed the least.

Viscous internal politics, cumbersome bureaucracy and so difficult to get things done with all offshore model. As an example it took 4 weeks to get a new PC fully provisinioned for a developer since all the different third parties would stick to their 5 day SLA's.

Coventry was calmer than Holborn and mostly people there were new since they were giving notice to all the permies down South and trying to recruit cheaper bods in Coventry.

One permie told me he had a 10 years service with Sainsbury's, then got transferred over to Accenture, lost his pension continuity and then got insourced back into Sainsbury's and lost pension continuity again. IMO they didn't give a t*** about the permies never mind the contractors..

On the other hand good name to have on CV if you can grin and bear it

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
      I worked at Sainsburys in Holborn. In ten years it was the contract I enjoyed the least.

Viscous internal politics, cumbersome bureaucracy and so difficult to get things done with all offshore model. As an example it took 4 weeks to get a new PC fully provisinioned for a developer since all the different third parties would stick to their 5 day SLA's.

Coventry was calmer than Holborn and mostly people there were new since they were giving notice to all the permies down South and trying to recruit cheaper bods in Coventry.

One permie told me he had a 10 years service with Sainsbury's, then got transferred over to Accenture, lost his pension continuity and then got insourced back into Sainsbury's and lost pension continuity again. IMO they didn't give a t*** about the permies never mind the contractors..

On the other hand good name to have on CV if you can grin and bear it
      Re: Politics/bureaucracy - this happens in most organisations in some capacity, so sounds no different at Sainsburys.

Re. CV - I would suggest there are some much better organisations to have on your CV for IT/developer contracting roles, so don't necessary take it just because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Re: Politics/bureaucracy - this happens in most organisations in some capacity, so sounds no different at Sainsburys.

Re. CV - I would suggest there are some much better organisations to have on your CV for IT/developer contracting roles, so don't necessary take it just because of that.
        Agree with the above and some of the advice is quite out of date. Sainsbury's outsourced their IT services to Accenture back in the early 2000s and then Sainsbury's took them back again several years later. I wouldn't say Sainsbury's is any worse than other major retailers and also the bureaucracy is to be expected in a business that is approaching 150 years old.

Comment

I spent a year on site at Sainsbury's Holborn doing a project for IBM. It was great. There were a number of permies who were hostile towards outsiders, the chief antagonist being a fella I worked with at Accenture previously. He was largely ignored because his cheese was hard...
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

A year for Sainsburys in Greenford - slightly isolated from the rest of the business but worked out quite well for me.

Somewhere I'd work again. The Coventry office is new and has a nice canteen.

Comment

Working...
            X