• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC clearance with a caution, help required.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drug offence is a bit of a tricky one and not sure how it will go down...I was on a night out got completely wasted for some unknown reason bought these drugs...next thing I know I woke up in a police cell, charged with being drunk and disorderly and in possession of class A.

Since then I've limited myself to what I drink and where I go, unfortunate as it may seem, what possibly seemed like a really good idea at the time has had many many undesired consequences.

Comment

update

Originally posted by qwertyjack View Post
      The drug offence is a bit of a tricky one and not sure how it will go down...I was on a night out got completely wasted for some unknown reason bought these drugs...next thing I know I woke up in a police cell, charged with being drunk and disorderly and in possession of class A.

Since then I've limited myself to what I drink and where I go, unfortunate as it may seem, what possibly seemed like a really good idea at the time has had many many undesired consequences.
      So, how did it go?

Comment

SC is mostly around honesty and financial status. Are you a liar and can you be bribed.

Tell the truth and fingers crossed you get it. I have just gone through my 3rd renewal. Every time they drag up the past..

Comment

Originally posted by jjohanson View Post
          So, how did it go?
          He's not been back in a year - what's the usual penalty for possession these days?
          First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
            He's not been back in a year - what's the usual penalty for possession these days?
            Depends on the drug.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well, I wouldn't give you SC based on the drunk and disorderly cocaine buying. I'd be worried about the consequences of your spontaneous actions . However, the more fair side of me thinks "heck, probably a one off, we all make mistakes" - so gawd knows. Apply for the SC anyway and see how it goes.

Comment

A very interesting subject I've never been put through.

Comment

I think honesty is the key - after all, you're not going for DV but SC.

What the security check needs to ascertain is whether you are trustworthy or could be subject to external pressure. If you fail to disclose criminal history and they discover it, it would have been the kind of information that, potentially, would leave you open to blackmail. The drugs issue, however, I'm less sure about... I mean, how would the SC process know if this was a one-off as you claim, or the result of a massive daily habit?

Comment

Hi, I don't suppose anyone is still active on this thread?

Basically I am in a similar predicament. I have put in for my SC clearance but I am worried
                    because I received a police caution when I was 16 (now 21) for drunk and disorderly. I have declared
                    it in the application but I'm worried if it'll affect my chances on being cleared?

What do you think?

Comment

Hello, newbie here, but might be entering the contract market very shortly, so I have been busy reading stuff here.

Just to provide a bit of contrast to this often asked question. I "fessed up" the following -

3 x CCJs - all satisfied
                      2 x drug possession charges (amphetamines & cannabis) - fines
                      1 x possession of a firearm (shotgun) - 6 weeks

And yes, SC clearance was finally granted, although my sphincter was clenching a bit for a few weeks.
                      Yes there was also a "background story" to the shotgun, but that's for another day.

As others have said, it doesn't matter if you ****ed up many years ago. Its having the balls (and integrity) to stand up and say "hey I ****ed up".

Comment

Working...
                      X