• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE or Qdos or Big Group or keep the money in the bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Yeah that PCG IPSE membership fee, that'll be the group who said 'dont worry about IR35 now boys, we've got the tories on side now' would it?
    I must have missed that press release - have you got a link?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
      Yep. Which would say a lot about the odds of ever needing it.

I've heard the same figure quoted at PCG events by Abbey Tax and in the context of giving membership the hard sell... The £2k 'best-case' figure was inferred from B&C's website and assumes that HMRC accept the technical arguments and it doesn't go to tribunal.
      Does HMRC still do tribunals for IR35 cases? Or do they just bypass that step now?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        I am not 100% sure but I don't think you can insure against taxed owed - you can get insurance to cover legal costs etc but, if it's proved that your status was incorrectly declared and tax is due , I don't think you'll find a policy to cover it otherwise, as you say, everyone would work outside IR35 regardless of their actual status.
        Qdos do cover for fees and owed tax.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          I don't think you'll find a policy to cover it otherwise, as you say, everyone would work outside IR35 regardless of their actual status.
          There's a decent bit of small print attached to the IR35 insurance, stating that you must have certain outside-IR35 indicators such as MOO and substitution clauses in your contract. Some places that offer it also require you to get it reviewed. So you can't just blatantly ignore your contracts and assume insurance will cover you.

Qdos are a bit cheeky in that they don't tell you this up front, instead they tell you on the last page just before you press submit to send them your money.
          Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
            There's a decent bit of small print attached to the IR35 insurance, stating that you must have certain outside-IR35 indicators such as MOO and substitution clauses in your contract. Some places that offer it also require you to get it reviewed. So you can't just blatantly ignore your contracts and assume insurance will cover you.

Qdos are a bit cheeky in that they don't tell you this up front, instead they tell you on the last page just before you press submit to send them your money.
            Interesting. I've currently been offered this insurance by Qdos. I was trying to find the catch but the sales guy wasn't forthcoming, unsurprisingly.

Comment

I'd love to know how many tickbox permatractors have taken insurance out because they saw it on a site so think they are covered and are sitting on an invalid policy
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've been asked, and have answered, similar questions on the IR35 insurance policies in the past (understandably). There is a very similar thread here in fact - http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1859771

I take your point on that, although I can assure you it's not a case of being cheeky and I've got no issue in detailing the application statements on the main product page. As insurance brokers (and IR35 consultants) we have to do an element of due diligence when we bind policies, and the questions for the TLC insurance effectively allow us to pick up any major red flags (i.e. Friday to Monday switchers etc).

Some questions - like substitution - are obviously a bit of a grey area and we're simply asking you to confirm they are accurate to the best of your knowledge.

I probably said this on one of the other threads, but we've handled over 1,500 cases and have never pulled out on the basis of someone inaccurately completing an application/statement. We're essentially ascertaining the contractor is in the right ballpark to begin with; an actual IR35 enquiry is complex, lengthy and unpredictable and that's where the policy comes in.
                Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'd love to know how many tickbox permatractors have taken insurance out because they saw it on a site so think they are covered and are sitting on an invalid policy
                  Daily Fail, December 2017: Insurance misselling scandal: 36 outraged IR24 contractors stuffed for Christmas (and outraged)!

Comment

Great to see QDOS posting. Interesting to see 1500 cases get mentioned where other people state there is no risk of an investigation. On that basis alone I'm happy ive bought it and will continue to do so.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Actually I don't think there will be many. Clients who have the TLC policy are extremely interactive with us when it comes to IR35; regular contract assessments, routine chats with our consultants etc.
                      Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
                      X