• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is buying residential property now unwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is buying residential property now unwise?

I'm thinking of buying a flat in London, to live in. I 'm hoping my new place will be a couple of tube stops / walk from my home.

With the uncertainty coming in April 2016, am I unwise?

If you're talking about BTL then you're going to pay more but ultimately you'll be throwing money at a long-term appreciating asset. If you don't need to get the money back out any time soon, it's worth doing. I would imagine there will be a fair few contractors looking for Sunday/Monday to Friday lodgings after T&S goes bye-bye though, so getting on the property ladder would get you out of that market.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      If you're talking about BTL then you're going to pay more but ultimately you'll be throwing money at a long-term appreciating asset. If you don't need to get the money back out any time soon, it's worth doing. I would imagine there will be a fair few contractors looking for Sunday/Monday to Friday lodgings after T&S goes bye-bye though, so getting on the property ladder would get you out of that market.
      I'm looking to live in it, to leave renting.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        I'm looking to live in it, to leave renting.

I would consider it a good/sensible long-term investment. Get a repayment mortgage either a flexible one or an offset one and try to clear it as quickly as possible.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I think his point is - if it all goes wobbly on Apr with the budget will he have a big mortgage and only a perm salary to pay for it...

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
            I think his point is - if it all goes wobbly on Apr with the budget will he have a big mortgage and only a perm salary to pay for it...
            Depends how much disposable income he's got then. Something we won't know.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

wait for the news , see how they hit you and then decide

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                wait for the news , see how they hit you and then decide
                But aren't I only affected if I depend on travel expenses?

Comment

If you are reliant of travel expenses to pay your mortgage, then you really need to adjust your spending.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There is potential big shake up in contracting, probably not as big as everyone worries about, but certainly worth waiting 9 days to find out before tethering yourself to an eye watering London mortgage.

Comment

Working...
                    X